Silver Supporter
Mar 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We have a very large vinyl pool in our yard (20x45' rectangle). The pool was installed 40 years ago and the liner replaced about 5 years ago. Since our yard is 60' wide this doesn't leave a lot of other room in the yard for the kids to run around.

We are having our yard re-designed for either keeping the current pool or re-doing it at about half its current size.

Is it possible to pull the liner, fill in half the pool, put up a new side wall, and reshape the bottom? This sounds like the cheapest option as it would involve minimal plumbing changes but I have no idea what's possible with a vinyl pool. Our designer thinks that's a bad idea, in her experience a redone vinyl pool has problems.

I'd much prefer to have a gunite pool with a hot tub but I feel that's going to be quite a bit more expensive. I have no idea what the going price is of a 20x20 gunite pool these days but the added work of taking the old pool out is going to add to the cost.
274b2fec2af365a393f92bcbc0b7f1f3.jpg

Are you thinking you can re-use the current liner? That will not work. So far we are at zero that have been able to re-use any kind of vinyl liner :(

Now to redo the basic size.............it will tricky but with the right crew I really think it could be done.....take out the last panel. Move the end panel up. Fill in the hole left (this is where the skill of the crew will REALLY come into play). Measure and order a new liner. Call it good!

The filling in is where you need to watch and plan. What will they fill it in with? How will they compact it to make sure it does not settle?

Kim:kim:

No I realize the current liner will need to be replaced. Those are all good questions. Finding good fill dirt won't be too difficult but I see how it comes down to how the fill is put in.

It seems that there isn't a lot of experience with vinyl pool liners in this area. At least people don't seem to be installing them now so designers and pool contractors don't know how to work with one.

I have heard is said to do the fill in 4" lifts..........add 4" compact and water........add 4" compact and water, repeat as needed. The key is making sure they do it the correct way instead of the fast way.

Kim:kim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.