Pool Placement

Feb 14, 2018
OH
I want to apologize if this is not the right place to ask. My wife and I have decided to buy an above ground pool. Where we would like it we had a tree cut down last year in February and had the stump ground down. 1 pool installer said we could not put the pool over top of it. Another said we could. So has anybody else ever been in this situation?

Attachments

• 1519151477687565923117.jpg
    1519151477687565923117.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 122
That ground stump is going rot and decay and give you a sink hole under your pool. I wouldn't put a pool over it with out digging out the soft grindings and filling the stump area with properly compacted fill.

I want to apologize if this is not the right place to ask. My wife and I have decided to buy an above ground pool. Where we would like it we had a tree cut down last year in February and had the stump ground down. 1 pool installer said we could not put the pool over top of it. Another said we could. So has anybody else ever been in this situation?
I had a huge pecan tree removed and the stump ground. We compacted the ground as much as we could. I live in Florida and sand is difficult to compact down. It looks good and solid when it's s damp but it fluffs up when it dries. Anyway, I put 3/4" polystyrene insulation down as a barrier before I set the pool up. Even with all the work done, I do have an ever so slight divet in the center of my pool. I can barely tell. We just call it the "deep end "

If you have to put the pool there put the stump under the middle of the pool at least 2 feet from the wall or supports. If you are doing an oval pool you need to stay clear of the pressure plates as well. A small depression under the liner isn't too bad and the liner should stretch to fit as long as it isn't too big. A small depression under or near any part of the frame of the pool and you ask just asking for your pool to fail.

You are in the cold part of the country as well and that stump area is perfect for some nasty frost heaves and lots of super soft mud in the mud season.

Hello and Welcome!

You didn't mention it, but is this a soft side pool (Intex) or a rigid wall above ground pool?

If you have the room, I'd suggest putting that stump spot more toward the middle of the pool rather than near the wall area. Dig out the stump area and fill it in with compactable material. The wall area doesn't tolerate settling too well, especially steel wall pools. The liner can then absorb some settling if any.

edit: repeat info. I guess I should have read the other posts first. lol

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.