Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: help...can not get FC up

1. Back To Top    #1

help...can not get FC up

First off I want to thank everyone on the forum for their help. My pool has been a dream this year. I am now helping a neighbor. Here are the details:

10K AG

FC - 3
    CC - 14.5
    TC - 17.5
    pH - 6.8
    T/A - 120
    CH - 120
    CYA - 90

So far we have added 1 bag of chlorine free shock per pool store...then measured (numbers above) after 1.5 hrs. I added 1 gallon of liquid chlorine @ dark & will check tomorrow. My plan is to continue to added liquid chlorine until FC > 15 and CC =0. Is this a sound plan or not? Pool is only slightly cloudy but my neighbor has been fighting a green pool for a couples of weeks. Thanks for the help.
    Caretaker for:
    24k gal fiberglass IGP Big Blue Key by Blue Hawaiian, Hayward sand filter 200lb, 3/4 HP pump, power cover.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: help...can not get FC up

Unless the neighbor has an swg, you should do a partial drain and refill to get the CYA lower, at least 70.

Once that is done, retest the PH and if it's still below 7.2, raise it with Borax.

Then resume shocking the pool, refering to the CYA chart for the new shock level. (It's not 15 )

Stick to bleach, as you can see by the high CC - non-chlorine shock can skew test results.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com