Indoor pool walls and ceiling sealing

Jul 14, 2017
Auburn, IN
Hi all,

I bought a home with an indoor pool a few months ago. The walls are some kind of wall board (not sure if drywall, green board, or cement board. I was having some mold issues so I had the walls cleaned with bleach, and the walls painted with some water-resistant paint. A couple months later, I am getting mold coming through the paint. There is a dehumidifier in the room.

I need a more long lasting solution. I have heard about epoxy coatings, but I am not sure these will work. Any suggestions?

Brett

Seems to me you first need to deal with the moisture problem. Other wise it will keep happening no matter what you paint or seal with.

How is the room ventilated? Fans? windows?

You say there is a dehumidifier............is it working? Have you emptied it?

Sorry for more questions than answer but I hope this will help you find the answers.

Kim:kim:

You might want to cut a few inspection holes into the wall and make sure the mold isn’t more widespread, ie, behind the walls and onto the stud. Otherwise you could have a much bigger remediation project on your hands.

Was this pool room properly inspected? Did the inspection report say anything about the room? Does your state require mold disclosures on home sales?

Auburn,

If the dehumidifier is in the same room w the pool and the pool has water, you are wasting your electricity. Your pool water is evaporating and what's in/on the walls probably isn't even being impacted at all. If you have or put a cover on it that is 100% sealed, then you'd have better results. make sure no windows or door are open unless the humidity in adjacent rooms is a lot lower.

As JFN stated, you need to pull some of your siding off in diff places and do an inspection. By sealing the outside, you could have increased your mold behind the walls bc the moisture has nowhere to go.

Post back after your behind the wall inspection. Also, if you do have a cover and people are working in there/ladders, etc, make sure there's a safety plan if someone falls onto the cover - good luck, tstex

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.