"Chlorine free" copper anode device recommend

Jun 6, 2010
Garland, TX
Preparing for another pool season in Dallas. I have a 18,000 gallon inground with only a stack chlorinator that uses the 3" pucks.

I am looking at a pool ionizer. A copper anode is used to ionize the pool water to control algae. Found it at Sams, but am not at all familiar.

Anybody use this method? Maybe suggest a brand/model?

Any help would be appreciated

Please read this - Alternative sanitizers and pools--The Truth!!

You DO NOT want to use copper or other metal ion systems in your pool. The metals build up, and, in the case of copper cause blonde hair to turn green and will stain your pool. You must drain your pool to get rid of them.

You would be better off looking at a SWCG or Stenner pump for liquid chlorine.

Take care.

Reactions: Ignoramus
Rocks,

Are your serious or are you just having a little fun this morning.. :confused:

You have been a member of TFP since 2010, so it must be obvious that no one here believe in a "Chlorine Free" pool.

I suggest you follow Marty's advice and read his link.

Thanks for making me smile this morning... :p

Jim R.

If you want copper in your pool then just go find some copper sulfate and dump it in. I mean, don't. I'm just pointing out that copper ionizers are a really expensive way to add something you don't want to your pool. There are much cheaper ways to add something you don't want to your pool.

So I guess the Algaedyn finally stopped working? A shame. Well there is always TFPC. Best of luck.

Thanks. I guess I stepped in it!

Just always looking (especially as I get older) for an easier way.

Thanks for the quick (dogpile) replies ; )

Rock,

The easiest way to maintain a sanitized pool is to use a Saltwater Chlorine Generator, but of course means using chlorine as your sanitizer..

Tell us why you don't want to use chlorine???

I have a saltwater pool, and it does not have any of that public pool, chlorine, kind of smell. Unless you knew it was a saltwater pool, you'd think it was just water and no chemicals at all..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Just always looking (especially as I get older) for an easier way.
That's what keeps the companies that build these things in business. People always jumping on the next thing that promises to make pool care easier. Obviously it is pretty lucrative, I would be lying if I said I have never considered getting in on that gravy train. It's so easy to convince people to buy a product that claims to solve all of their problems. Telling someone that knowledge and reading will solve their problems? Now that is a tough sell...

That's what keeps the companies that build these things in business. People always jumping on the next thing that promises to make pool care easier. Obviously it is pretty lucrative, I would be lying if I said I have never considered getting in on that gravy train. It's so easy to convince people to buy a product that claims to solve all of their problems. Telling someone that knowledge and reading will solve their problems? Now that is a tough sell...

Kinda why I asked. Almost regret it though.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
copper does help prevent algae, but it's not a means to an end. You'll still have to use chlorine to sanitize the pool from parasites and bacteria. Chlorine is the best way regardless of what you might do for algae and chlorine will prevent the algae also if kept at the proper levels.

The algaecides which Pool stores sell have copper in it, except the Polyquat.

Copper can stain your pool walls and liner, and turn blonde hair green too.

"Chlorine free" copper anode device recommend

I think that most people don’t understand that algae is just a nuisance, it’s not going to make you gravely ill if you swim with it.

Algae is the ‘canary in a coal mine’ for pools. It’s presence means that the water is most likely not properly sanitized to protect against bacteria & pathogens.

Using algaecides removes that warning system.

I think Richard (chem geek) had the best response to copper based ionizers and it went something like this -

If people really, really wanted to use copper as a pool additive, then it’s far and away easier to simply go to the store, buy some pure copper sulfate (root killer), and then add it to the pool at about a dose of 1.5-2ppm. There is simply no good reason to buy one of these “electrical” ionizers because they add nothing to the process and simply waste time as they generate copper ions very slowly. Just add the copper and be done with it.

I’m glad the question was asked as well, as Kim said, TFP does come up in Google searches for pool related questions a lot more these days. The more posts on a given thread, the better for people getting accurate search results.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.