Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: "Chlorine free" copper anode device recommend

1. Back To Top    #1

"Chlorine free" copper anode device recommend

Preparing for another pool season in Dallas. I have a 18,000 gallon inground with only a stack chlorinator that uses the 3" pucks.

I am looking at a pool ionizer. A copper anode is used to ionize the pool water to control algae. Found it at Sams, but am not at all familiar.

Anybody use this method? Maybe suggest a brand/model?

Any help would be appreciated

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: "Chlorine free" copper anode device recommend

Please read this - Alternative sanitizers and pools--The Truth!!

You DO NOT want to use copper or other metal ion systems in your pool. The metals build up, and, in the case of copper cause blonde hair to turn green and will stain your pool. You must drain your pool to get rid of them.

You would be better off looking at a SWCG or Stenner pump for liquid chlorine.

Take care.
    6000 Gallon IG Fiberglass with integrated Spa;Pentair CCP240 Cartridge Filter with Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump and HTR250 heater. IC40 SWG. EasyTouch 4. Dolphin Active20 Robot "Roadrunner", TF 100 Test Kit w/SpeedStir!
    CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool.com Supporter!! Pool Math App
    Marty

3. Back To Top    #3

Rocks,

Are your serious or are you just having a little fun this morning..

You have been a member of TFP since 2010, so it must be obvious that no one here believe in a "Chlorine Free" pool.

I suggest you follow Marty's advice and read his link.

Thanks for making me smile this morning...

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

If you want copper in your pool then just go find some copper sulfate and dump it in. I mean, don't. I'm just pointing out that copper ionizers are a really expensive way to add something you don't want to your pool. There are much cheaper ways to add something you don't want to your pool.

So I guess the Algaedyn finally stopped working? A shame. Well there is always TFPC. Best of luck.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks. I guess I stepped in it!

Just always looking (especially as I get older) for an easier way.

Thanks for the quick (dogpile) replies ; )

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by rocks911 View Post
    Thanks. I guess I stepped in it!

Thanks for the quick (dogpile) replies ; )

Rock,

The easiest way to maintain a sanitized pool is to use a Saltwater Chlorine Generator, but of course means using chlorine as your sanitizer..

Tell us why you don't want to use chlorine???

I have a saltwater pool, and it does not have any of that public pool, chlorine, kind of smell. Unless you knew it was a saltwater pool, you'd think it was just water and no chemicals at all..

Thanks,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

That's what keeps the companies that build these things in business. People always jumping on the next thing that promises to make pool care easier. Obviously it is pretty lucrative, I would be lying if I said I have never considered getting in on that gravy train. It's so easy to convince people to buy a product that claims to solve all of their problems. Telling someone that knowledge and reading will solve their problems? Now that is a tough sell...
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Donldson View Post
    That's what keeps the companies that build these things in business. People always jumping on the next thing that promises to make pool care easier. Obviously it is pretty lucrative, I would be lying if I said I have never considered getting in on that gravy train. It's so easy to convince people to buy a product that claims to solve all of their problems. Telling someone that knowledge and reading will solve their problems? Now that is a tough sell...
    Kinda why I asked. Almost regret it though.

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Donít regret asking questions, itís how we all learn.

PS- a quick forum search would have prepared you for these answers.

Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

I am GLAD you asked. If you saw it in the store then others will see it also. Hopefully if they do a search on the internet they will see this thread. That will stop them from making a mistake! That will be due to YOU!!!! Good job helping others!!!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

copper does help prevent algae, but it's not a means to an end. You'll still have to use chlorine to sanitize the pool from parasites and bacteria. Chlorine is the best way regardless of what you might do for algae and chlorine will prevent the algae also if kept at the proper levels.

The algaecides which Pool stores sell have copper in it, except the Polyquat.

Copper can stain your pool walls and liner, and turn blonde hair green too.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

"Chlorine free" copper anode device recommend

I think that most people donít understand that algae is just a nuisance, itís not going to make you gravely ill if you swim with it.

Algae is the Ďcanary in a coal mineí for pools. Itís presence means that the water is most likely not properly sanitized to protect against bacteria & pathogens.

Using algaecides removes that warning system.
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

13. Back To Top    #13

I think Richard (chem geek) had the best response to copper based ionizers and it went something like this -

If people really, really wanted to use copper as a pool additive, then it’s far and away easier to simply go to the store, buy some pure copper sulfate (root killer), and then add it to the pool at about a dose of 1.5-2ppm. There is simply no good reason to buy one of these “electrical” ionizers because they add nothing to the process and simply waste time as they generate copper ions very slowly. Just add the copper and be done with it.

I’m glad the question was asked as well, as Kim said, TFP does come up in Google searches for pool related questions a lot more these days. The more posts on a given thread, the better for people getting accurate search results.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates