Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Wrong plaster installed

1. Back To Top    #1

Wrong plaster installed

Hi everyone! I've been lurking for a while and finally need to make my first post.

We have a new construction pool and chose to go with the Diamond Brite finish. We chose the "pearl" color from the Diamond Brite line but the pool company sent the Ultra Pearl Brite in the "pearl white" color and the sub installed it. When we got home yesterday to check it out, I noticed immediately that it wasn't correct. Our PB is reputable and we've known them for years, so they are going to make this right.

They've given us two options. 1 is that we keep the Ultra Pearl Brite in the pearl white color and not pay for the product (saving us $1,200). Option 2 is that they drain the pool, chip away all of the wrong plaster and redo the job with the right plaster and we pay the $1,200 that we were going to initially pay.

My question is: has anyone ever used the Ultra Pearl Brite line from SGM? The product seems to be inferior to the Diamond Brite, but they don't give very much info on it on their website.

We honestly don't know what to do. The plaster is just a plain white color with some small gray flecks. I'm unsure if those will get bigger over time as we brush because they aren't the quartz aggregates like the Diamond Brite has. The Diamond Brite pearl that we chose had much bigger rocks in it, so the look is definitely different. Not terrible looking of course, but not what we had expected. I'm going to attempt to attach pictures of the pearl brite pearl white vs the sample of the DB pearl that we wanted.
    pearlbrite.jpg
    pearlsample.jpg

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Wrong plaster installed

Yep go with what you want and be happy. Remember that you have to look at it everyday.
    34'x21' = 22,325 Gallon OB (in progress) pool. Pentair - VSF x2, 400K heater, 6 Glow brights, 2 LED Bubblers, Easy touch 8 w/Screen Logic, Blower for spa, and a 4 wheel "The Pool Cleaner"
    7x7 Spa with 12 jets and 9'x9' seating area with 6 jets. Baja Shelf with LED blowers.

3. Back To Top    #3

Those two products are completely different and so the finished pool will not look the same. Id have it chipped out and redone with what I want. You were going to pay the $1,200 originally anyway as part of the contract.

Youre not paying for any labor, right?
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

4. Back To Top    #4

All depends on what you can live with. If you're fine with the wrong plaster, take the $1,200 and spend it on pool furniture. But if it's gonna make you sick at your stomach every time you look at it -- and it is a pretty significant difference -- make 'em redo it. After all, you're gonna have to live with it for the next 10-20 years, and $1,200 is not that much considering the (likely) overall cost of your pool, which you want to be perfect. Good luck.
    30k gal IG SW gunite pool, 4-8' deep w/ 16" baja shelf; Ocean Blue PebbleSheen; well water (resin softener); Hayward Pro-Grid 7.5 lb., 60' D.E. filter; Hayward TriStar VS filter pump; Hayward TurboCell T-15 SWG; AquaCal TropiCal heat pump; Hayward OmniLogic automation, Colorlogic lights (2 large; 2 accent); Polaris cleaner w/ booster pump; TurboTwister slide (gray granite); 5' rock waterfall w/ second Hayward TriStar VS pump; TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

So if I understand, you can live with the wrong finish and save $1200, or have them make it right for no extra money than you would have paid anyway. To me it's a no-brainer,...make it right. Otherwise, you'll be stuck with the wrong finish long after that $1200 savings is written off and forgotten.

There's a reason you chose that finish in the first place.
    44K gal freeform / padded vinyl and concrete /double waterfall and integrated slide/ Tan deck w/ 2 bubblers / Sta-rite PLM300 filter
    Pentair Intelleflo 3hp VS circ. pump, Whisperflo 5hp waterfall and 2hp slide pumps / Intellichlor IC60 SWG
    Heatsiphon 7.50hp pool heater/ Pentair automation w/ screenlogic / Dolphin S200 / TF100

6. Back To Top    #6

Make it right! You had planned this far along for that plaster, do not settle. If it were to happen to me I would be asking them to make it right plus some lol. Doubt that you would get the plus some but it doesn't hurt to ask right? Anyways get the pool your planned to pay for. On the flip side its your pool! If you could honestly live with it...take the money back. There is no shame in that.
    32 Long x 20.5 15,000 Gallons/ Tanning ledge/ 4 ton waterfall grotto / 17' weeping rock / Jandy 2hp VS filter pump/ Jandy 2hp water feature pump / Jandy 400 BTU Heater / Iaqualink RS6 / 460 Jandy Cartridge Filter / All spectrum 360 LED Colorlights / WetEdge Primera Stone Sapphire Treasure/ Stenner Pump

7. Back To Top    #7

They're not even remotely similar. The interior that was applied looks like plaster and the original sample mini pebble. It's not just the colour it's the surface difference between the two. I would have it replaced. For the overall cost of the pool it's not worth the small saving of sticking to an interior you didn't want.

3.2 x 6m | inground concrete | ~27,000 litre | 1.2 - 1.8m | salt and pepper mini pebble | SWCG Atral eq35| Viron xt 1.5 HP VS pump | Astral CA280 sand filter | DB3 robot | 2 x LED lights | travertine coping and paving | ceramic waterline tile |

8. Back To Top    #8

I agree with everyone else, get it re-done!

I had just my spa re-plastered last year, the PB ordered the wrong plaster, but swore black and blue that the new plaster would closely match what the rest of the pool looks like, it does not... and every time I see it, I get annoyed that I let them get away with it, but its totally my fault for agreeing to it.
    22,000 gal IG pebletech with raised IG spillover spa, test Kit: Taylor K2006
    Pump - Pentair Inteliflo 2 VST
    Heater - Pentair Master Temp 250, Filter - Pentair FNSP 60 DE
    Automation - Jandy iAquaLink 2.0 RS8
    SWCG - Jandy AquaPure PLC1400 Robot "Dora" the Dolphin A30i

9. Back To Top    #9

It sounds to me like your pool builder is highly ethical, and I think the options offered are very reasonable. If it was me, I would have them chip it out and redo it in the plaster you originally wanted for the price you originally agreed to. I think your original choice looks much better. But having choices is always good.
    Retro Classic Pool built ~1960, remodelled 2018. In ground gunite 16x36, 8.5' feet deep, 8' diving board, 25,000 gallons, polished pebble with glass beads, travertine coping and deck, 420 square foot Pentair cartridge filter, Pentair Intelliflo variable speed pump, Pentair IntelliChlor 60 SWG, Polaris 280 with booster pump, two Pentair Itellibrite colored LED's, autofill

10. Back To Top    #10

i would have it chipped out. i have diamond brite. i really like it so far. we just didn't want plain white, but my wife didn't want the feel of pebble so that's why we ended up where we are at. i would chip it out. 1200 is nothing in the whole picture of what u spent anyway, plus it was part of ur budget to begin with.

jim
    TFP - Come for advice, stay for the education, leave with knowledge -
    35x23/20 free form gunite 3.5-6 feet water. 20,000 gallons. 2 skim, 2 ret, floor ret, floor return. 2 inch solid. suction cleaning line. 1.5 inch solid. super blue diamond brite. NPT Gemstone Blue 2x2 with custom Disney Mickey markers. pentair equipment. master temp 300,000 BTU. de 60. inteliflo 3.0 VS. swg ic40. 3 globrite LED's. ET 4/SL. tf-100/ salt kit

11. Back To Top    #11

We had a similar issue and had them re-do the plaster, and actually used the opportunity to upgrade the finish at a greatly reduced price since we didn't really like our original choice. Worked out great.

We also had the PB reimburse us for refilling the pool since we knew what it cost to originally fill it, and since we had already done landscaping and grass, made sure we got in writing that they would put everything back to how we had it because the plasterers made a mess with the grass and some bushes.

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks everyone. Sorry I haven't been back on here...we've been on vacation so the wrong plaster stayed on hold for a while. Looking at it now, it doesn't make that much of a difference to us. It isn't bugging us at all so we're leaning toward keeping it. Our problem now is with the water chemistry. We were going to make a decision on plaster once we saw the water color but we haven't been able to get that right yet. It's a lot more difficult than I anticipated!

13. Back To Top    #13

Post up your questions on water chemistry. Members here are pretty good at helping you troubleshoot! Hopefully you have your own test kit, the Taylor K2006C or the TF100. If not, order one now. You will have a very difficult time getting your water chemistry under control without it!

Take care.
    6000 Gallon IG Fiberglass with integrated Spa;Pentair CCP240 Cartridge Filter with Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump and HTR250 heater. IC40 SWG. EasyTouch 4. Dolphin Active20 Robot "Roadrunner", TF 100 Test Kit w/SpeedStir!
    CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool.com Supporter!! Pool Math App
    Marty

14. Back To Top    #14

Who’s responsible for the plaster startup? Plaster startup processes vary but, typically speaking, the first 28 days requires very frequent adjustments to pH with a close eye kept on the alkalinity and calcium hardness. No chlorine should have been added for the first 24-48 hours and then the FC should have been maintained to keep algae away. No salt should added to the water prior to 28 days after plaster application. The plaster surface needs to be brushed at least twice per day to dislodge plaster dust and the filter should be monitored daily for pressure rise and either rinsed or backwashed as-needed.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    Who’s responsible for the plaster startup? Plaster startup processes vary but, typically speaking, the first 28 days requires very frequent adjustments to pH with a close eye kept on the alkalinity and calcium hardness. No chlorine should have been added for the first 24-48 hours and then the FC should have been maintained to keep algae away. No salt should added to the water prior to 28 days after plaster application. The plaster surface needs to be brushed at least twice per day to dislodge plaster dust and the filter should be monitored daily for pressure rise and either rinsed or backwashed as-needed.
    My husband and I are and we're learning slowly. It's obvious I should've learned water chemistry before startup but I'm late to the game and am paying for it! I've read the ABCs of water chemistry on here and somewhat understand it. We have a Taylor kit on order and should be here tomorrow or Wednesday. We plastered last Monday, filled that evening through the night, and did add chlorine Wednesday per our PB. We are brushing twice per day and are testing with our little Pentair kit that came with the pool.
    So, our water had been green for a few days and the PB came by and put metal out in it Friday evening. By Saturday morning it was a beautiful blue color, and all readings seemed to be in the normal range according to the Pentair test kit. By Sunday morning (a day later) we had a green pool again. When we tested Sunday (yesterday) we were showing chlorine of at least a 3 (the test didn't go higher than that). pH was also 7.8. Today we brought a sample to the local pool store to test since we don't have our Taylor kit yet and here are the results.
    TC 0
    FC 0
    CC 0
    pH 7.8
    Acid demand 2
    TA 125
    Calcium 90
    Stabilizer 10
    Salt 300
    They checked metals and said they were "low".

We know we need to add Chlorine but I'm cautious now because I don't fully understand it all and don't want to mess it up.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mknauss View Post
    Post up your questions on water chemistry. Members here are pretty good at helping you troubleshoot! Hopefully you have your own test kit, the Taylor K2006C or the TF100. If not, order one now. You will have a very difficult time getting your water chemistry under control without it!

Take care.
    Thanks. I'll post there. We do have the K2006C ordered. Hoping for it to be here tomorrow or Wednesday

16. Back To Top    #16

I would only act on what you can test. Keep your FC at 3 and your pH in the 7's.

It would be great if you could add details to a signature. Really helps us understand what we are giving advice on. See Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

Be ready to add calcium and stabilizer. in Louisiana I suspect calcium will only be available from a pool store. Stabilizer (CYA) should be available at Walmart, Home Depot, etc.
    6000 Gallon IG Fiberglass with integrated Spa;Pentair CCP240 Cartridge Filter with Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump and HTR250 heater. IC40 SWG. EasyTouch 4. Dolphin Active20 Robot "Roadrunner", TF 100 Test Kit w/SpeedStir!
    Marty

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by mknauss View Post
    I would only act on what you can test. Keep your FC at 3 and your pH in the 7's.

It would be great if you could add details to a signature. Really helps us understand what we are giving advice on. See Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

Be ready to add calcium and stabilizer. in Louisiana I suspect calcium will only be available from a pool store. Stabilizer (CYA) should be available at Walmart, Home Depot, etc.
    Thanks for the help! I've updated my signature with what I know. I'll have to get model numbers this afternoon.
    14K gal, IG plaster, cartridge filter, Pentair Intelliflo VSF pump and Pentair MasterTemp Heater, Feb 2018 build, Pentair Intellichlor SWG, well water

18. Back To Top    #18

Great start on the signature.

For help on knowing amounts to add be sure to use PoolMath. Link at the top of the page or download the App!

Take care.
    Marty