Pentair RS-485 connector

T Man

Bronze Supporter
Feb 26, 2016
NE, Indiana
when I closed pool last fall, took off the RS-485 communication cable from the my pump (Pentair intelliflo VS 3hp) and half the pins broke off. this would be off the part of the RS-485 cable that is inside part of the pump, just under the keypad, not the cable that runs to the panelIMG_7984.jpgIMG_7983.jpg... anyone know of where to get replacement besides a dealer? pool stores are still closed around here and they want the entire pump. I have a feeling it's going to take awhile to get/order...

thank you everyone for your help, this is a fantastic & informative site!

Welcome to the forum!

I would call Pentair technical support. At least get an idea if it is repairable. Then try InyoPools for the part. They seem to be the best at locating parts.

Good luck!

You may be able to find one at Mouser or Newark electronics. Put in the number of positions (not just the number of used pins) and see what you can find.

I'll be surprised if Pentair will sell you just the connector.

thank you for your help! Pentair says I'm IMG_8724.jpgout of luck, I need to purchase a new drive... that's $600! ouch! the inside of connector in the drive is in epoxy (see pic)? so hard wiring or switching out the connector is going to be a challenge if not impossible.

I was afraid of that.

You can try a hack job and see if you can hard wire. May or may not work. Worst case, you have to buy a new drive or pump. A new pump (online) is about $1000.

Take care.

I'd find a way to hardwire it. I can't imagine it is that hard to do. It is low voltage line anyway not sure why they felt the need to have that elaborate proprietary setup for 4 low voltage wires.

well sorry to say but this problem is still ongoing... deciding not to spend the $600 for a new head unit, I decided to take the advice and direct wire it as we are finally getting our pool opened up. But, here is my problem. I cut into the jacket of the RS-485 line and found only 2 wires (see pics). whereas the connector wire in the head unit has 4 wires... so is it even possible to direct wire this? if so, which wires would go to where? Thank you for your help!IMG_9188.jpg

sorry having trouble keeping second pic under limit... I did however donate this afternoon but it must take a bit to register.

the wires on back of pin connector have 4 wires coming off going to the board: green, yellow, grey & red - not sure how this can be hard wired to eliminate the 4 pin connector.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
T,

The pump only uses two of the four wires...

The Com port pin 2 green wire goes to the pump connector pin 6..
The Com port pin 3 yellow wire goes to the pump connector pin 7..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.