New F/Glass build DownUnder - Adelaide - What have I let myself in for?... :)

you were able off load the fill nearby for nothing.

Not quite for nothing (beer money was for a number of cartons by the looks of it) but cheaper than normal dumping fees.

Bet you’ll sleep like a log tonight after all the excitement.

We did hit the first snag today....

Received a call late this afternoon from the paving/coping supplier who advised me that our choice of granite coping is out of stock and they are not expecting any stock for a couple of months... :hammer:

May have to go with one of our other options with regards to the coping - I'll be heading down to the supplier tomorrow top check a few other options.

We have selected a 'drop edge' face for the coping which also limits our choices.

Yeah, that’s not exactly free but close enough. I was really stressed about our dumping leading up to the dig. Advertised on gumtree etc. Had a taker for the first load and another for the remaining soil. Then after the first load to the second place he said he didn’t want anymore. Excavator guy said he was nuts as it was the best soil for compacting, which is what he wanted to do with it. Luckily the bob car guy made a few phone calls and found somewhere in our suburb that would take it. They even sent their own truck and driver, so we had one truck filling while the other truck driving. Worked out so well and cost nothing.

Not good about your paving. Do you have pics of your other choices? You are right about the drop edge limiting your choices. Looks lovely though. Is there another supplier you could try or is it just easier to pic something else? Just when you think you are so organised, something like this throws you. You never know, you might like your new choice even better.

Yeah, that’s not exactly free but close enough. I was really stressed about our dumping leading up to the dig. Advertised on gumtree etc. Had a taker for the first load and another for the remaining soil. Then after the first load to the second place he said he didn’t want anymore. Excavator guy said he was nuts as it was the best soil for compacting, which is what he wanted to do with it. Luckily the bob car guy made a few phone calls and found somewhere in our suburb that would take it. They even sent their own truck and driver, so we had one truck filling while the other truck driving. Worked out so well and cost nothing.

Looks like you got a good deal on your dumping as well.

I was quoted something in the order of 1.8K to 2K for dump fees.

Not good about your paving. Do you have pics of your other choices? You are right about the drop edge limiting your choices. Looks lovely though. Is there another supplier you could try or is it just easier to pic something else? Just when you think you are so organised, something like this throws you. You never know, you might like your new choice even better.

I did have a few options still swirling in my head so I'll check these out tomorrow at their warehouse so I can see the other granite options under direct sunlight etc.

Let the MUD/DIRT begin!!! Happy day!

Those layers are pretty! So neat to think of how it was formed.

Lots of beer is still cheaper in the long run as you made some friends as well! LOL

Kim:kim:

Thanks Kim - Yes, Beer Money can be an economical currency at times....:D

We were quoted about the same if we couldn’t find somewhere to take our fill. Pair that with a dig that took 5 days in hard shale, we were on edge waiting for a massive variation.

I was very close to going with I think it was the light grey granite. I also loved the mushroom granite. Take some pics while your there. It will help to be able to look back at them when you get home. Also grab some samples and take them out in your yard so you can see how they’ll fit in with your surroundings.

Exciting stuff!

Yes - especially for a first time pool owner...!

Not much activity today - main thing was that some dug up concrete which formed the base for the old shed in the corner was broken up and removed.

A layer of screed was layed in my pool plant room with enough fall to have any water exiting the room rather than pooling inside the room. It will be tiled next week ready for the equipment to be installed towards the end of that week.

On a lighter note - the wife and I ended up changing our minds with respect to the coping.

We were originally going to choose a dark grey colour for the coping with a much lighter white/grey for the main paving.

Due to the lack of availability of our original coping choice, we now have decided to not frame the pool with a contrasting colour. We will use the same colour as the paving but simply lay it offset to the main paving tiles to give it some variation.

Here is what we are now going to use - Granite 'Sea Salt'

wpDh8s.jpg

It is in some ways similar to the pool shell colour itself.

Hopefully it will blend in with the pool shell to some degree (rather than going for that contrasting look wrt the pool shell) and it will rely on the water itself to draw your eyes into the water rather than a distinct contrasting coping border as we had originally planned.

100T Crane lift still scheduled for Tuesday the 24th - so will be up early for that one....!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I like that idea! It will be very pretty!

PLEASE make sure your camera is charged on Tuesday!!!

2 batteries charged on my DSLR....

I have Mon & Tues off from work and Wed is a public holiday (Anzac Day) - So all set...

It will go beautifully with your water colour. Plus it will be cooler underfoot.

I hope it will look as good as I'm trying to picture in my head.

Well tomorrow is pool shell delivery day...:kim:

Crane is scheduled for 13:00Hrs lift. Pool shell is being freighted from VIC (Victoria - Interstate for our OS readers) tonight/morning and is being delivered direct to my house.

Camera ready to go and hopefully the weather will play ball - 0.4mm of rain is bugger all:

7FNdZY.jpg

No new pics of the pool as yet - however I did work on my shed today.

Weather strip installed to make panel lift door seal 100% against water and dust ingress. I also have brush/ember seals around the sides and top to effectively make the whole door dust proof.

Weather proof floor seal came direct from the UK - Great product, highly recommended - Google Weatherstop Door seals

bMBMA5.jpg

Also started laying out my floor using Racedeck tiling... Only reached just under the halfway point today....

Promise - Proper pool pics to come tomorrow....:p

DdcMpq.jpg

So exciting! I wouldn’t worry about the weather. .4mm is barely a slight spit and there’s only a 40% chance of that. Our pb only got concerned if there was over a 60% chance of more than 2-3mm. Speaking of which, I’m not game enough to check the forecast for Thursday.

Great work on the shed! I love that checkered flooring. Weather strip looks like it will do a very good job of keeping the inside dry and clean. I buy a lot of stuff from overseas that I can’t get here.

I hope all goes smoothly tomorrow. Will look out for photos.

Exciting and scary at the same time! Video of the crane lift????

LOVE race deck! Can't wait to see it finished.

NICE weather strip for the door. So many people forget that part. It will help keep tiny critters out as well!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.