SWG for AGP

Jun 13, 2017
Lincoln, NE
Considering adding a SWG to help regulate FC and see that three brands (Hayward, Pentair, and CircuPool) are used by various members. I was initially looking at the CircuPool RJ60 Plus because of the current upgrade deals available online, but is it overkill for my pool? I am not currently looking to automate, and last summer I was adding 30-40 oz of 12.5% bleach daily during the busy/sunny times.

I understand it is recommended to oversize your SWG so that the pump/SWG can be run part of the day to extend their life. Last season, I ran my pump 24/7 and have read I should be aiming to turn the pool over 2-6 times a day for proper filtration. I have 2" pipe, EXCEPT at a few of the fittings on the equipment provided by the pool company (1.5"). Is there a formula/calculator that can be used to determine actual flow (GPM) so I can find out how long I need to run the pump on each setting to properly filter the pool daily?

Has anyone had bad experiences with CircuPool where I should consider a different brand? Is there anyone who currently has a SWG that regrets the decision?

Circupool SWCG's are well regarded on the forum.

The turnover thing is not necessary. Read Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time

With your pool and a 2 speed pump I would suggest the RJ60.

You will need a separate timer for the SWCG if you plan to run the pump without the SWCG operating.

You will be hard pressed to find anyone on this forum that has a SWCG and regrets it. Most of us with them would NEVER have a pool without it!

Based on 40 oz of 12.5 chlorine your high FC demand is approximately 1.8 using pool math. They have a SWG calculator around here I downloaded a while back and you can plugin that 1.8 FC as well as the circupool 3.1 lbs of chlorine a day and it shows you can run it at 4 hours a day 60% (peak) and as your FC demand lowers you can run it less. This is a guestimate as I have seen the only real way to get dialed in is setting and testing but that's still a good ballpark # for your expect with that equipment based on their rating. I haven't seen much to not like about circupool with their current sales you can get a RJ60 for $999 by choosing RJ55 and $20 upgrade, or for a bit more you can get the RJ 60 plus by ordering the RJ 55 plus with upgrade $1099. Now those prices and chlorine production put circupool in a league of their own.

My only issue with circupool is that the other manufacturers have their equipment NSF certified by a 3rd party where as circupool is certified by their manufacturer only. To me this might not give as much credibility for instance if you buy a car that the manufacture says does 0-60 in 6 second but car and driver never tested it, I would not be 100% convinced on that 0-60 time as no one is really holding them to that claim. The pentair IC 60 is the next closest producer at 2.0 (NSF certified) and with that output you are looking at a starting point closer to 6.5 hours at 60% peak. Still good but the IC60 is usually quite a bit more that the current RJ60 promotion. I love my Hayward swimpure extreme but their NSF certified out put is only 1.45 (as they don't have a 60k cell yet) So your starting point with them would be 7 hours at 75% peak.

Again all these numbers are guestimates based on your estimated FC demand that you mentioned using up to 40 oz of 12.5 FC on a 21500 pool combined with the manufacturer or NSF certified outputs of the SWG's you mentioned. For myself I found my Hayward produced more than the 1.45 lbs per day and my pool FC demand (even in florida) rarely exceeds 1.5 a day. So it's pretty hard to say anything with 100% accuracy, but this should be a good starting point. I think the majority of forum members love all 3 brands that you mentioned and furthermore most if not all (myself emphatically included) would never go back from SWG to managing liquid chlorine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.