Midnight Blue and Tropics BlueStonescapes

I see on your tile thread you have all but picked the Midnight Blue! What made you go that way? BOTH are SO pretty it would be hard to pick!

Kim:kim:

It was my first pick but I started shying away because I was afraid it would get too hot. So then I wanted the next darkest option with no green tint- hence the Tropics Blue. Had my waterline tile, accent tile, coping....everything picked out for Tropics. Then I kept coming across Midnight Blue pictures...and then Midnight Blue with sand tanning ledge. So I started leaning that way again. Plus the weather has been pretty crummy here, so I have had idle time to think about it all. If I would have had to decide in January...it would have been Tropics without a doubt. AHHHHHHHH just typing this is confusing me!!!! LOL!!!

Reactions: bonanza
Hold on a sec!!! I will be right back!!

dbtgallery.php

There ya go!! Now you are LOCKED into Midnight Blue! I have the key put up in such a safe place that I have not seen it in a while :roll:

See link to my build in sig. As far as water temp goes....it's really not gonna matter that much. My brother lives a few miles from me and went with "Irish Mist", which is significantly lighter than my "Midnight Blue"...and his water temps aren't too much different than mine. It may be a bit warmer (few degrees)...but you'll be swimming sooner in the spring and later in the fall that way. My PB has Tropics and there really wouldn't be much difference in temp between those 2. I personally liked the color of Midnight Blue over Tropics (this is all covered in my build thread as well).

See link to my build in sig. As far as water temp goes....it's really not gonna matter that much. My brother lives a few miles from me and went with "Irish Mist", which is significantly lighter than my "Midnight Blue"...and his water temps aren't too much different than mine. It may be a bit warmer (few degrees)...but you'll be swimming sooner in the spring and later in the fall that way. My PB has Tropics and there really wouldn't be much difference in temp between those 2. I personally liked the color of Midnight Blue over Tropics (this is all covered in my build thread as well).
Thanks for the info. As far as looking at your build thread...been there, done that. Your's was one that helped me originally want the Midnight Blue. Beautiful pool!!!

So I have tropics blue with a twist! I had them add extra bags of black to the mix and changed the bead colors so I would get a darker version of tropics blue. I really wanted midnight but the wifey said no because she felt like there would be sharks in the water or creatures that she wouldn’t see that would get her lol. So she wanted lighter than tropics so we compromised and I had the plaster guy make it a shade darker secretly so I would be happy since I’m the one maintaining the pool.
I have been extremely happy with it and honestly in the desert here my pool is no hotter than any other pool and I’m kinda mad about it cause I HATE cold water lol. So maybe in different climates you will notice a difference. Feel free to read my thread as I was VERY detailed about the plaster and asked a ton of questions
1303db7ad4649288bf1792f922b3aff4.jpg
9bc3368fadd7964f270250c331f36628.jpg
90c1fe0eac85bb99c3b7c1a8e7f700b6.jpg

Big Will,
Your pool is absolutely beautiful. Tropics Blue was actually my first choice...but then I decided it was too light. I love what you did by adjusting the color with the extra black- gorgeous!! I saw your pool in another thread and went to your profile and found this one. I never saw that you replied to my thread...do we not get notifications? Anyway. Thanks for the response. I am all but sold on Midnight Blue...but this Tropics is making me think again. :confused:. What step tiles did you go with?

Big Will,
Your pool is absolutely beautiful. Tropics Blue was actually my first choice...but then I decided it was too light. I love what you did by adjusting the color with the extra black- gorgeous!! I saw your pool in another thread and went to your profile and found this one. I never saw that you replied to my thread...do we not get notifications? Anyway. Thanks for the response. I am all but sold on Midnight Blue...but this Tropics is making me think again. :confused:. What step tiles did you go with?

2a56452dcfdc2c31dd7fcb9434da5a47.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
To get notifications you have to have that setting picked. Settings (upper right), general (lower left), Default Thread Subscription Mode: (lower middle), click on the drop down arrow and pick the one you want. Let me know if that worked for you.

Tiny pic is being stupid and rotating the pics, even though they were taken correctly. And the ads on tinypic make me want to throw my computer across the room. Anyway....

2zq4x2x.jpg

63ya1f.jpg

This is today, 6 days after filling. Only acid and 1 gallon of chlorine has been added two days prior.
s2b3iu.jpg

Hi, i just got your message, I’m not at home and don’t have all my pictures but here’s one I found on my phone of us filing up the pool with water after the plaster.
Oh I love!!!! Okay- so if you had it all to do again...would you still do the sand colored tanning ledge? Or would you go solid midnight??? If you get a chance please share more photos. Thanks so very much!!! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Tiny pic is being stupid and rotating the pics, even though they were taken correctly. And the ads on tinypic make me want to throw my computer across the room. Anyway....

2zq4x2x.jpg

63ya1f.jpg

This is today, 6 days after filling. Only acid and 1 gallon of chlorine has been added two days prior.
s2b3iu.jpg
Thanks so much for sharing! Tropics is so nice!!!

I did the Sand color tanning ledge for the kids, I have toddlers and I wanted them to be able to distinguish the ledge and the pool when playing. I like the look of it, it stands out more and doesn’t blend with the midnight color. We love the midnight but if we could do it over, I would go even darker! Lol, here are some pics I found of the finished pool project.

76e3ea562cdc754fe50a64bd19878c44.jpg

One pic is shade and one is sun and one is close up. It is a vibrant blue in the sun and very sparkly and in he shade it is a deep blue with zero green

Will,
I have a question about your abalone shells. I think I read in your build thread that they mixed it in with the plaster and hand casted some at the end...is that correct? Can you really see the shells that were mixed in? I am wondering if we should just cast on the tanning ledge, benches and steps. Or, mix some and cast some. I know these details seem so trivial...but I want to do it right. Also, do you agree that most of the sparkle comes from your shells rather than the glass? I am doing glass on my tanning ledge only.

That is correct we hamdcasted on the steps and benches and shallow end and the rest was mixed in the plaster. The hand casting definitely has more pop and a wow factor but u can see little sparkles throughout the pool since it was mixed in.
If I had to do it over again I would do it exactly the same . And the shells do stand out more than the glass but the glass looks cool when your underwater but you do have to get right up on them to see them.
Your eyes will naturally gravitate to the overall color

So I have tropics blue with a twist! I had them add extra bags of black to the mix and changed the bead colors so I would get a darker version of tropics blue. I really wanted midnight but the wifey said no because she felt like there would be sharks in the water or creatures that she wouldn’t see that would get her lol. So she wanted lighter than tropics so we compromised and I had the plaster guy make it a shade darker secretly so I would be happy since I’m the one maintaining the pool.
I have been extremely happy with it and honestly in the desert here my pool is no hotter than any other pool and I’m kinda mad about it cause I HATE cold water lol. So maybe in different climates you will notice a difference. Feel free to read my thread as I was VERY detailed about the plaster and asked a ton of questions
beautiful.. what is your waterline tile?

I
Mini-pebble? PR Blend? Touch of Glass? Which version of Tropics blue did you go with?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.