Converting a Hayward DE Filter to Cartridge

Nov 2, 2016
Austin, TX
I'm considering switching from current DE6020 to a cartridge system because I find the DE cleaning and back-washing to be a messy pain. (I've read the wonderful guides an how-tos, but I still end up covered in powder, with my yard looking like a winter wonderland, and inevitably end up with DE in the pool.)

Buying a completely new filter is relatively expensive, especially given that my current system works fine. Looking at parts diagrams, it seems that the filter housing is the same between the DE Progrids and Cartridge Swimclear units. The primary difference I can see is that the inlet/outlet positions are swapped, the cartridge does not have the multi-position valve, and they use different manifolds.

If I understand correctly, the filter works by having the pump push water into it. The water flows through the filter material and out the outlet. It's all driven by the pressure from the pump, so the only critical thing is making sure the only way for water to flow out is through a path that has a filter in place. If you do that successfully, your filter is working.

It seems like it would be pretty simple to build a simple manifold to connect 4 or 5 cartridge filters to the outlet pipe. That would give 400+ sqft of filter material, which would be more than sufficient for my pool. Maybe add an air relief outlet on the manifold as well since most OEM manifolds have one, though it seems the water pressure inside the housing would push any air in the plumbing out.

Anyone made such a conversion? I could also buy the OEM parts, but if my understanding of the process is correct, I'd have more flexibility by building something myself, and it should just be standard pvc fittings.

I found this:

Converting a Sand Filter Into a Cartridge Filter: 5 Steps (with Pictures)

Which is aligned with what I'm thinking.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.