Built in Table

The ones I've seen are formed and poured in place, not removable. I personally would rather have a removable table than a permanent table mostly so I wouldn't have to worry about the robot getting stuck.

I have thought about that but like the look of a built in table. The way around that is to have them put like a 1.5" step between the pool and seating area? I'm just wondering if I need to have the Rebar guys attach the table base it to the frame before it goes to Shotcrete..? Also I wonder how they make the table or attach it to the base?

HIJACK ALERT!

Sorry, couldn't resist. If you're going to have a table in your pool, this is the way to go (towards the end of the video):

Hidden Water Pools - YouTube

I think for what you pay for these, the good looking guy and girl come with it...

Back to the thread: vote for removable table, definitely. Way more versatile, replaceable, repairable, etc, and if you change your mind about it (even for a day/week/month/year), it's gone!

The tables I have seen built with the pool were done in two parts. The base was formed using a sano (not sure if this is the name) tube with rebar inside it. Not sure if the rebar was part of the pool floor though. The top is made separate then attached. I THINK is is "glued" on. I will put a call to my go to guy for this kind of thing to get his input.

Kim:kim:

If building it in the pool, the rebar gets tied into the pool steel and an 8" (min) sonotube is placed. You can leave the rebar long and bend it into the table top later.

These tables are more of a novelty than anything and not very practical since they really can't be that big. They can also be problematic if you have wild kids and guests that will be dancing on them :crazy: .... It can crack the plaster.

A cantilevered countertop is much more practical but doesn't really give that look of a table in the pool...

I dont have any young kids and I'm too big to be jumping off of the table. To me it comes down to Fashion over function.. I like the idea of having a removable table but I also like the look of having a table in the pool. Oh well I'll let the wife decide.

Yea I understand that the Rebar is attached to the rebar skeleton and a sonotube is then put in by the gunite crew. For my application the gunite crew will leave the rebar up about 2' above the top of the sonotube so the tile guy can cut the rebar and fab the table top. You then determine if you want the table to be at water level or inches up off of the water line. To me I like the look of the built in table but also like the removable so the water bug isnt always stuck in there..

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I dont have any young kids and I'm too big to be jumping off of the table. To me it comes down to Fashion over function.. I like the idea of having a removable table but I also like the look of having a table in the pool. Oh well I'll let the wife decide.

Whatever finish you or the wife had in mind for the built in table could be applied to a removable table: tile, stone, granite, whatever, if you’re determined not to use something synthetic. It’ll be heavy, but still removable. The only thing you’d be giving up is the gunite pedestal, which, for reasons already pointed out, is the component that can be problematic. You’d have the best of both...

Ok so now that I have pretty much made up my mind that I'm not going to do the built-in table. I am reaching out to you for ideas. I am going to be putting in a sleeve and have an umbrella with a long pole with a table on the pole or something like that. I need you creative people to give ideas.

Hey Brian- yea I have seen those. To be honest I'm using them as my mock-up for building my own. I'm looking at using something like this to start with. https://restauranttory.com/l/grosfillex-exterior-table-top-99881002.asp Or https://www.centralrestaurant.com/G...MI8frqlb-32QIVSGB-Ch3UrAXvEAYYBSABEgKNRvD_BwE

My only concern now is how to support something that large, so my next search is for some type of base that I can put in the pool and take out. I do like the idea of still putting in a sleeve in the gunite/plaster and having the table base with a extension to fit into that sleeve. I dont mind making or having something made or purchase. I just have to find it......

Pat.

Like this? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ball...yABEgJwBfD_BwE Then I can fill with sand and leave in the pool and take out when It's not being needed.

I think you're on to something! I hesitated to suggest... because you seemed intent on permanence in some form or another. There's plenty of ways to put a table in your pool that don't involve doing anything in or to the plaster. Then you can take it out. Swap it out. Move it. Use it in the yard. Add a second one. Chairs, stools, etc. I'm not seeing the plus-side of affixing a table to a pool, even if by inset fixture...

I hesitated to suggest... because Chopjaw seems intent on permanence in some form or another. There's plenty of ways to put a table in your pool that don't involve doing anything in or to the plaster. Then you can take it out. Swap it out. Move it. Use it in the yard. Add a second one. Chairs, stools, etc. I'm not seeing the plus-side of affixing a table to a pool, even if by inset fixture. That might be just me...

Dude you are almost correct. I just want the best setup without sacrificing function. To me I dont see how just a tube is going to support a table along with everything that will be stacked on-top of the table. I am having a hard time visualizing the application. SO I'm spitballing ideas... Please feel free to suggest or comment. :)

The only other option is to have the gunite people create a step in the floor so the creepy -crawly does not go up into the seating area. Then I have to scrub/clean that separate. I'm just trying to exhaust all options before I spend the money on a built in..

Dude you are almost correct. I just want the best setup without sacrificing function. To me I dont see how just a tube is going to support a table along with everything that will be stacked on-top of the table. I am having a hard time visualizing the application. SO I'm spitballing ideas... Please feel free to suggest or comment. :)

The only other option is to have the gunite people create a step in the floor so the creepy -crawly does not go up into the seating area. Then I have to scrub/clean that separate. I'm just trying to exhaust all options before I spend the money on a built in..

I think the cleaner issue is a big one. Any table, no matter how it's in your pool, is going to impact cleaning, one way or another. It's easy to compare the hours my cleaner works (and saves me) vs the hours I'd be sitting at a table in my pool. Manual cleaning, or untangling a cleaner hose or robot cable from your table leg(s) is going to get old, fast.

If the table was removable, then you could pull it out for the off season, keep your vac happy, and then deal with the cleaner issue only during the swim season.

I'm with you, I don't see how any sort of pedestal in any sort of receptacle is going to be strong enough or stable enough to work well. Plus, it's a big fulcrum that people are going to be leaning on and up against that's going to be prying away at your plaster (no matter how well that receptacle is installed. Put an umbrella in there? And the wind come's up? Bye, bye plaster. All you'd have to do is forget and leave it open one time. No way. I'd be looking at other solutions, frankly. An umbrella that hangs over the pool, you know, one of those arched things. Or, I use a shade sail over my pool. 100% wind proof, nothing to trip over, doesn't take up any deck space, etc. Then, if you really had to have a table in your pool, just find a nice looking stand-alone table that can stand up to pool water and sun and drop it in. Done. Take it out when you want. Move it around the pool. Totally versatile. Forget the permanent installation.

Sorry, don't mean to beat up your vision, just giving you another point of view to help you figure this out...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.