Recommendations for shrubs to plant near pool that don't drop leaves?

Apr 6, 2016
Louisiana
I'm looking for some type of "evergreen" shrubs that I can plant near my pool to replace some bottle brush shrubs that are AWFUL and drop a ton of leaves daily in my pool from fall to spring. I want something that:

1. Stays green year round and doesn't drop any leaves (this is my #1 priority).
2. Doesn't grow wild.
3. Can be trimmed regularly.
4. Look appealing.

We live in South Louisiana, but it does freeze 2-3 times each winter. Typically when it freezes, it gets to about 25-30 degrees, so not too bad.

I was going to say succulents, too. My winter temps seem about the same as you describe, so far they're surviving and mostly looking "evergreen." Something I can't say about most of my shrubs. I put a lot of them in pots, to create different elevations (and thwart the gophers). The pots add interest and color as well...

I was actually thinking about putting some on the other side of the pool in a rock bed we were doing with a windmill palm as the focal point. Think that would work/look nice?

For the other side, I was looking for something more of an actual bush/shrub.

If your area has a prevailing wind (most do), put the leafy stuff downwind from the pool, and the succulents and evergreens and palms upwind...

Dont forget lighting! Enjoy your garden at night, too!!

Many people don’t like them but I do. Yuccas. Yucca filamentosa ‘Color Guard’ has yellow and dark green striped leaves. 2’ tall with 6’ flower stalks. As soon as the flowers start to die, you can cut the stalk to keep the petals out of the pool. Tropical looking but hardy. They will also keep kids out of flower beds because the tips are pointy and get your attention. I have Color Guard elsewhere, and plain Yucca filamentosa near the pool as shown in the picture below.

Link for Color Guard

https://www.gardenerdirect.com/buy-plants-online/3181/Shrubs-for-Fall-Color/Color-Guard-Yucca-Yucca-filamentosa-Color-Guard

Yucca filamentosa and as already mentioned, boxwood in front of them.

2016-06-21 20.13.22.jpg

Yes, no worries regarding yucca in the winter even for your location. They are cold hardy through zone 4a. You're in 6b.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I planted 13 Spartan junipers in 2015. 5-6’ tall when planted. Growth rate seems to be less than 1’ per year in 2016 and 2017. I’m good with that.

Next year I will do another set. They are replacing Leyland Cypress (3’ per year growth rate) that I’m taking down in batches. The next group are 25’ from the waters edge.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.