Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Perma Salt...not so simple!

1. Back To Top    #1

Perma Salt...not so simple!

My husband and I purchased our 24' above ground with perma salt system in July 2017. Everything we were told about the system sounded surprisingly easy, but I found out it wasn't so. I don't know if it's the actual system or the lack of information. After the initial start up all we "needed" to do was add our biweekly chemicals, I found out 2 months after opening that was not true, I phoned Family Leisure (place of purchase) I was instructed to add very high amounts of muriatic acid (which I found out NOT to do before doing it) and very little knowledgeable help thereafter so after multiple trips to my local pool store testing water I had to add several bags of salt, shock multiple times & add chlorine tabs to the skimmer to kill algea & clear my water. Looking forward to opening this year I'm wondering if there's any other chemicals that are compatible with the perma salt system? Not sure if I'm comfortable purchasing expensive chemicals from "experts" that could have caused serious harm to not only my pool but my kids.
    24' above ground round perma salt system

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Perma Salt...not so simple!

That system is expensive for what it says it does. It looks like it just adds minerals to your water, that will not help you maintain your pool at all. Most people here don't spend anywhere close to that over a whole season maintaining our pools. Take a read through some of the articles in pool school. The only thing we need you to buy is a quality test kit like the TF-100 from tftestkits.net or the Taylor K-2006c.

Start here: TFPC for Beginners

Then read through this one ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and then Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule.
    20'x48' 40,000 gal. Vinyl, Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST, Sta-Rite PLM300 System 2 Cartridge Filter, and a Pentair Mastertemp 250 heater all controlled by Pentair Easy Touch with Screen Logic. Dolphin Premier pool attendant.
    I've got iron stained well water. TF-100 and Speed Stir, Lamotte 3017-G for Borates

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Welcome to TFP!

Truth be told, you will find no love for perma salt here. Most are sold by convincing people that chlorine pools are difficult to maintain, or are unpleasant to swim in, or even that somehow chlorine will leach in through your skin and turn you in to a zombie or something. Sadly, with so many badly maintained pools out there, it isn't hard to convince people that chlorine is to blame for the first of those two. The reality is that the issues commonly associated with chlorine are problems with the mismanagement of pool chemistry. When a pool is taken care of in a proper manner, such as is taught here, a chlorine pool is safe, comfortable, and relatively easy to maintain.

I hope you will continue to explore TFP. It is not easy to make the decision to ditch a system less than a year in to use that you were so sure would be a good deal, it is only human to want to get it working and believe it can be great with just minor changes. But you will find, if you choose to explore TFP further, many stories of those who have taken a deep breath and gave TFPC a real try. And they, no we, can attest that our pools have never looked or felt better.

Welcome again, we are glad you found us.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by angie27a View Post
    My husband and I purchased our 24' above ground with perma salt system in July 2017. Everything we were told about the system sounded surprisingly easy, but I found out it wasn't so. I don't know if it's the actual system or the lack of information. After the initial start up all we "needed" to do was add our biweekly chemicals, I found out 2 months after opening that was not true, I phoned Family Leisure (place of purchase) I was instructed to add very high amounts of muriatic acid (which I found out NOT to do before doing it) and very little knowledgeable help thereafter so after multiple trips to my local pool store testing water I had to add several bags of salt, shock multiple times & add chlorine tabs to the skimmer to kill algea & clear my water. Looking forward to opening this year I'm wondering if there's any other chemicals that are compatible with the perma salt system? Not sure if I'm comfortable purchasing expensive chemicals from "experts" that could have caused serious harm to not only my pool but my kids.
    Welcome to the forum!

Your instincts are correct, and nobody will care for your pool better than you.

Our methods of pool care have been established with science based fact, and proven in thousands of pool across the country (and quite a few around the globe). Your key to success is understanding and only putting in exactly what the pool needs, and to do that you need a proper test kit.

Are you in Seymour Connecticut by chance? That would make us almost neighbors!

Nice to have you with us.
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!