what is typical salt level of NON SWG pool?

pookiesunshine

Gold Supporter
May 12, 2016
Cincinnati, OH
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Can anyone give me a range of salt levels in pools that use regular chlorine bleach or tablets for sanitizing?
Apparently the level of salt in SWG maintained pools are so high that acrylic decorative concrete sealers do not hold up when used on surrounding pool decks, but salt levels in regular pools are okay. So i'm trying to find out what those levels are. Sealant manufacturers are not very forthcoming so far other than suggesting that SWG levels are too high.

Can anyone add to this:

ALL pools essentially are salt water pools. Each ingredient you add does add some salt once it breaks down, so in a few years time you might be sitting in water with about 1000ppm salt already. SWG use between 2500-4000ppm. The ocean is 35,000ppm!! ......]

Thanks

I've used bleach for many years and my salt level runs about 1,500 to 2,000 ppm. Been a while since I've tested the salt level in the fill water, but if I remember correctly, it was about 200 ppm last time I checked. We've had many people report salt at or greater than 1,000 ppm when preparing to add a swcg.

..... We've had many people report salt at or greater than 1,000 ppm when preparing to add a swcg.
Put me in that camp... after 2-1/2 New England pool seasons I already had 1200ppm of salt (per Taylor K-1766) when I installed the SWG, almost half of the 3000ppm +/-200ppm required.

......Apparently the level of salt in SWG maintained pools are so high that acrylic decorative concrete sealers do not hold up when used on surrounding pool decks, but salt levels in regular pools are okay.
Can you share your source of this info? Is this the findings of an independent study, or something from the sealer manufacturer?

Can you share your source of this info? Is this the findings of an independent study, or something from the sealer manufacturer?

mostly anecdotal. my own pool deck was sealed w/acrylic and lasted for about 3yrs. then i converted to chlorine, then added more salt, not realizing how much salt i had already added during conversion. so i ended up with swg level salt. recoating after that lasted less than 3 months. [there's more but that is the jist].

web search reveals various conversations on acrylics not holding up around salt. nothing definitive about what is okay. frustrating for me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.