Questions on converting from baquaxxx to SWG

Jul 8, 2007
Central Texas
Greetings to all,

My pool is green and has been that way for about two months, and the guy at the pool store sells us more baquaxxx and a whole lot more of chemicals, and we still have not been able to swim this season. So I came to this forum ready to ask for help with baquaxxx, and I start reading about this BBB and SWG and I had no clue what it was. Now, I think about all the money I spent on baquaxxx all these years, and it makes want to go to the pool store and ask them to give it back (riiiight, hehe).
So I am ordering an Aqua Trol and I intend to start the conversion to SWG in a week or so. I have a couple of questions:

1. How many gallons of bleach to kill the baquacil and the algae in a 12,000 gal pool?

2. Once I get it to maintain the proper chlorine and stabilizer levels, then it needs about 320 lbs of salt, according to the Aqua Trol installation manual. But the pool will be already topped off in chlorine from the bleach. Does adding all this salt to the chlorine cause any harm to the 'trol? Is this the proper way to do it?

Regards,
Roberto

It is difficult to predict the amount of bleach you will need. It depends on how much baquacil is actually in the water when you get around to doing the conversion.

You can mix chlorine from bleach and using the SWG freely. Likewise, salt and chlorine don't particuarly interact. You can add the salt when you are ready to without worrying about the chlorine level.

since your pool is really icky, perhaps the algae has used up some of your baqua and you will need a little less bleach...

The initial dose should be 3 gallons to get your FC to 15. Be prepared for some wild colors! (think rusty pea soup... mmm! :roll: ) Test often... 2-3 times a day if you can, and add enough bleach to get it back to 15. When your FC holds at 15 overnight and your water is clear, you are done! Will probably take about a week, less if you test frequently

You will need to clean your cartridge often, and when your conversion is complete, you must replace it.

Come back when your are done and we will help you balance your water! (feel free to ask other questions along the way, too!)

((I have moved this post to the baqua section... read other posts there to help you along!))

You can kill two birds with one stone and shock using Di-Chlor. This will help get your CYA up to that 60-80 range required for your swg. Actually the goldline one requires 100ppm. Just thought I would help you save some $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Roberto said:
Greetings to all,

1. How many gallons of bleach to kill the baquacil and the algae in a 12,000 gal pool?

Regards,
Roberto

You don't need bleach at all to knock out the baqua. Sodium percarbonate will do that, faster and without all the funky colors. About 6 lbs should do for you. There's an ebay seller of lab chemicals who has it. He's very nice to work with and sells the stuff for around $5/lb. I'm not affiliated with him, just a satisfied customer!

Sodium percarbonate has been marketed as a non-chlorine shock. It knocks out the CC's (unlike MPS) but unfortunately also neutralizes your FC. I have used it in my pool to lower high CC levels and also use it as a shock regularly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.