Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Coping Ideas?

1. Back To Top    #1

Coping Ideas?

Hello everyone, we are deciding on the coping? I am 95% sure we are going to go with "salt finish" for the concrete deck, probably a light tan color. I am thinking the coping should be a different color. Nothing crazy like neon green, but something to kind of "frame" the pool. am I on the right track?

I do not want to go crazy expensive, but any ideas and hopefully pictures would be awesome

thank you

justin
    13,150 gallon IG Pool, Pentair VS pump, Pentair sand filter, Pentair ICHLOR 30 SWG ( CL for now)/TF-100 test kit +speedstir, S200 Dolphin Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Coping Ideas?

Uhhhhh....you really don’t want to do a salt finish pool deck. It will get waaaaay to hot and slippery. We did an acid finish deck (so like very fine sandpaper) and flagstone coping. FS added some major $$ so if you want to do all concrete (poured coping and a concrete deck), then you should do salt finish on the coping and acid wash on the pool deck. The pool deck will still be hot but at least people won’t be slipping and falling everywhere.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    Uhhhhh....you really don’t want to do a salt finish pool deck. It will get waaaaay to hot and slippery. We did an acid finish deck (so like very fine sandpaper) and flagstone coping. FS added some major $$ so if you want to do all concrete (poured coping and a concrete deck), then you should do salt finish on the coping and acid wash on the pool deck. The pool deck will still be hot but at least people won’t be slipping and falling everywhere.
    THANKS, I do not want to do the flagstone, partly because of the $$ and I really don't like it.
    I was thinking the "colored" salt finish would help with the heat. The heat is why I didnt want pavers. I will look at the acid finish.
    Now I am even more confused what to use. better to find out now than later!
    13,150 gallon IG Pool, Pentair VS pump, Pentair sand filter, Pentair ICHLOR 30 SWG ( CL for now)/TF-100 test kit +speedstir, S200 Dolphin Cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

The only thing you can do for heat control is KoolDeck. No concrete finish or color is going to impact temperature in any way.

I’m offended you hate my flagstone....NO MORE ADVICE FOR YOU FOR 1 YEAR!!

(A little Seinfeld humor...)
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

5. Back To Top    #5

Going through some of the threads, it appears I can buy pre made coping? I assumed, the options where, concrete, pavers or flagstone type. Is the pre made and installed the normal way this is done? I feel kind of dumb asking this question

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes, precast coping is fine. Usually you have to send the company your pool design and then they custom pour and mark each coping block - “A”, “B”, “C”, etc, etc. Then they send you back the design with the coping map so you know which blocks go where in the design.

There are technical details for the correct way to attach the coping to the bond beam using certain types of barrier films, thin set cement and then mortar. We have experts here that can help with that if you want to DIY or just to make sure whoever you hire does it right.
    Matt

7. Back To Top    #7

Justin,

Here is a pic of my manmade coping and stamped concrete decking..

Thanks,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

I love my bluestone!

29k Gallon Free Form Gunite Pool, 3 floor returns, 2 wall returns, 1 vacuum pressure port, 2 skimmers, Main drain, Jandy 2.7HP VSP, Jandy JXI400N Gas Heater, Jandy CV340 Cartridge Filter, FusionSoft 1400 SWG, 2 Watercolors LED, iAqualink with PDA, Sheer Waterfall, Rock Waterfall, 9' Deep End w/Diving Board, SunDeck, Polaris 9650iQ, TF-100 - Pool Build - 2017 - Google Photos

9. Back To Top    #9

Great pictures thanks

10. Back To Top    #10

good morning pool people!!

over my days off I found/heard/ okay I went to a new pool being built in the neighborhood and got more ideas. They are getting "artisitc pavers" claim to be cooler than regular pavers, a couple of resorts here in Tucson have them.

Any info on these? the plant is Casa Granda

thanks

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by PoolGate View Post
    I love my bluestone!

That is seriously pretty.
    IG fiberglass 16X36. 14,600 gal. Heyward Pro Series S270T sand filter, Hayward Super pump 1.5 hp, Aquarite T-3 SWG, and Hayward H200FD propane heater. Two Treo LED lights by SR Smith. Two returns, one skimmer. Tftestkit TF-100 water kit.

12. Back To Top    #12

It’s 115F in Tucson over the summer....doesn’t matter what you make the deck/coping out of, it will get hot.

That said, go for what you guys like and gives you the look you want, not by some advertised benefit.

We wind up just laying lots of beach towels all over our pool deck when the kids swim. When they get out of the pool, the kids lie on those and they warm up / dry off quickly.
    Matt

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    It’s 115F in Tucson over the summer....doesn’t matter what you make the deck/coping out of, it will get hot.
    We took samples of different stone & pavers home and let them sit in the sun and then did a simple barefoot test (mid-August in Tampa, Florida). We decided on Shellstone Travertine for our pool - everything else got so hot that we couldn't keep our feet on the stone for very long. The shellstone was warm, but not uncomfortable after several hours of direct sun exposure with ambient air in the mid 90s.

My wife originally wanted pre-cast concrete coping. Not only was the precast concrete hot to touch, it was the most expensive option. Our pool builder quoted $6.50 / sqft of poured concrete decking, but the pre-cast concrete coping was more than $13 / sqft. The travertine was $12 / sqft. (all prices included installation)
    10,500 gallon in-ground Pebblesheen - TF100XL w/Speedstir - Hayward TriStar 900VS, c200 cart, Aquarite AQR-15 SWG, 3 Colorlogic lights with controller & 400k BTU heater. Oyster shell travertine, coping & deck, NPT Casablanca. Dolphin S-300 robot (RALPH).

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by sehrmude View Post
    We took samples of different stone & pavers home and let them sit in the sun and then did a simple barefoot test
    We did the same. We had narrowed it down to granite and travertine. We have massive natural granite boulders surrounding the pool and were leaning towards the granite paving. After putting them in the sun and comparing, the travertine was the hands down winner. It never got too hot to touch. Also, we poured water on them to test how slippery they were. The travertine weren't nearly as slippery as I thought they'd be. The granite were very none slip, but very uncomfortable and rough underfoot. I think they would shed swimwear quickly too. We've chosen the linen tumbled travertine and although they're no down yet, very happy with our decision.

3.2 x 6m | inground concrete | ~27,000 litre | 1.2 - 1.8m | salt and pepper mini pebble | SWCG Atral eq35| Viron xt 1.5 HP VS pump | Astral CA280 sand filter | DB3 robot | 2 x LED lights | travertine coping and paving | ceramic waterline tile |

15. Back To Top    #15

Oh - the travertine is slippery when it is first installed due to the powdery residue from cutting...and our installer warned us not to use a sealer unless it is penetrating sealer. Once the residue from cutting is washed off, the pool deck is not slippery when wet. We chose not to seal the travertine.
    10,500 gallon in-ground Pebblesheen - TF100XL w/Speedstir - Hayward TriStar 900VS, c200 cart, Aquarite AQR-15 SWG, 3 Colorlogic lights with controller & 400k BTU heater. Oyster shell travertine, coping & deck, NPT Casablanca. Dolphin S-300 robot (RALPH).

16. Back To Top    #16

Thanks for the heads up sehr! We're not sealing ours either. I've done a ton of research into it and I think sealing it causes more problems than it prevents.

3.2 x 6m | inground concrete | ~27,000 litre | 1.2 - 1.8m | salt and pepper mini pebble | SWCG Atral eq35| Viron xt 1.5 HP VS pump | Astral CA280 sand filter | DB3 robot | 2 x LED lights | travertine coping and paving | ceramic waterline tile |