Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: LED Light Upgrade

1. Back To Top    #1

LED Light Upgrade

I am about to remodel our pool and one thing I asked the builder was to upgrade to LED lighting.

Currently have old halogen? possibly lighting. They are quoting me $3,000 for a pool and a spa light in 12v with color changes. This seems high to me?

Thoughts?
    18,500 gallons, Cartridge Filter, In Ground Plaster. Jandy CL460 Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: LED Light Upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by brownchristian View Post
    I am about to remodel our pool and one thing I asked the builder was to upgrade to LED lighting.

Currently have old halogen? possibly lighting. They are quoting me $3,000 for a pool and a spa light in 12v with color changes. This seems high to me?

Thoughts?
    We just finished our build and decided midway through to upgrade to color LED (2 pool / 1 spa).

Upgrade was I believe $1600 with about $600 credit for the white Halogens originally on the quote, so I guess $ 2200 really. That also included three transformers.

So far we are very happy that we decided to upgrade as they are beautiful.

Hope that helps.
    15' by 30' pool with a 6' interior spa / 3 Brilliant Wonders LED descents / Hayward 3HP EcoStar VS pump / Hayward SwimClear 425sqf cartridge filter / Hayward H-Series 400KBTU heater / Rainbow Inline Chlorination Back up system / Hayward T-Cell 15 SWG / Hayward OmniLogic Ultimate App Driven Automation Computer / Hayward Neverlube Valves / Hayward Pool Lights / Hayward TigerShark cleaner / TF-100 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Price seems high for 2 lights unless they are having to run new conduit and tear out a bunch to get it there.
    18x36 Vinyl, sports depth, 8' Roman steps at each end. Hayward 1.5hp 2speed pump, catridge filter, 2 skimmers, no main drain, 3 SR Smith Treo LED lights

4. Back To Top    #4

Ours were $720 AUD each. One was included and we added a second. Other pbs quotes were up to $850 each. LED colour changing.

3.2 x 6m | inground concrete | ~27,000 litre | 1.2 - 1.8m | salt and pepper mini pebble | SWCG Atral eq35| Viron xt 1.5 HP VS pump | Astral CA280 sand filter | DB3 robot | 2 x LED lights | travertine coping and paving | ceramic waterline tile |

5. Back To Top    #5

On our new build the cost was $500 per light for color changing LEDs.
    Inground vinyl 23'x40' Aspen shape, ~27K gallons, Sta-Rite Intellipro 2 VST Pump, Sta-Rite System:3 Mod DE Filter (60 sq ft), Hybrid In-Floor System (Paramount Valve with Caretaker Heads), AquaComfort Heat Pump, 3x Savi Melody Sol 28W LED Lights, Pentair IC60 SWCG, EasyTouch Automation with ScreenLogic, TF-100 test kit.

6. Back To Top    #6

Seems high. Two years ago I replaced my lights with Pentair Intellibrite since my panel is pentair. I bought on amazon. Pool light is/was $540 plus Tax. Spa Light $465 plus tax. The EasyTouch panel controls the color changing mode, but it can also be done manually by knowing how many times to turn it on and off, or add an intellibrite controller for $185 on amazon. So about $1200 in parts.

3K seems high...

Oh, just noticed 12V. My prices are 120V. Is there a reason to stay with 12V? I think 12V prices are comparable.
    Pool IG 17,000 gallon (33 x 16) Spa IG 700 gallon - under renovation
    Sta-Rite IntelliPro VS 3050, Pentair Easy Touch 8, Intellichlor IC40, Pentair FNS Plus 60, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test
    Pentair Intellibrite 5G Color LED, Polaris 360, Lars Lx400 NatGas heater, Fafco Solar panels

7. Back To Top    #7

I think that is expensive for just the lights.. In our new build, the 3 Hayward Colorlogic LED with controller was $3,100 including electrical (bonding and wiring the controller to just about wherever we wanted it). I assume the company you are using would be able to re-use the existing wiring to the lights and current switch...I can't find the original quote from the PB, but (I think) they originally quoted only one light and each additional was quoted as $500 installed..

BUT - There are a lot of unknowns in what's provided with that estimate you have. How extensive is the remodel without upgrading the lights? What make/model lights are they providing in that quote and what controller (if any). For example, the Colorlogic LEDs are MUCH smaller than the halogen style lights - replacing the halogens with the ones I have would require the holes in the pool wall to be filled and re-formed to hold the new lights. If they have to run new electrical for the lights, that might be a bargain..
    10,500 gallon in-ground Pebblesheen - TF100XL w/Speedstir - Hayward TriStar 900VS, c200 cart, Aquarite AQR-15 SWG, 3 Colorlogic lights with controller & 400k BTU heater. Oyster shell travertine, coping & deck, NPT Casablanca. Dolphin S-300 robot (RALPH).