Hello from Roseville, CA

Feb 18, 2018
Roseville, CA
Hello!
We are just getting started on adding a pool to our yard. We got quotes from last year, but wanted to wait it out and see how the sun moved throughout the year... much better than a $50,000+ mistake!

As for plans, we have a 2,800 square-foot backyard (roughly 70' wide by 40' deep) and want to maximize both our pool size and still keep a substantial amount of grass. We have about ~1,200 square feet more yard than most neighbors. In consulting the companies they have used, the designs we have received have been underwhelming. For example, one company's plan is 7' deck around the entire pool... it's essentially the exact same pool they've done in the neighborhood over and over just more deck. We're lucky enough to have a yard that we can have a both pool and grass and aren't looking for a 400 SqFt pool with massive amounts of deck placed dead-smack in the middle of our yard. Please tell me their is a happy medium.:confused:

HI!! There IS a happy medium! Do you have the plans/design in your hand? Post it here in the under construction section and I will draw all over it. Then you take it back to the PBs and say THIS is what we want! YOUR money, YOUR way!!!

Looking forward to helping you build the pool of YOUR dreams!

Kim:kim:

HI!! There IS a happy medium! Do you have the plans/design in your hand? Post it here in the under construction section and I will draw all over it. Then you take it back to the PBs and say THIS is what we want! YOUR money, YOUR way!!!

Looking forward to helping you build the pool of YOUR dreams!

Thanks, Kim!

I've attached our plat map and two designs.

One design is more than 8 feet off the fence (requirement is 3' off property line, thus 4' to water). They included garden beds and lots of landscaping, all while missing what we asked for... using the length, not width of the yard. The second design is dead-smack in the yard and sacrifices leaving any remaining significant space for the kids to play.

We asked both to put the pool either far left using our 40' yard depth OR far right and use the 34' space behind the dining room (the part of the home that comes out farther) and make a square-ish or L shaped pool. Apparently, they didn't like the idea and went with a regurgitated design that doesn't maximize our space or our desires. Any alternatives are greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1945.jpg
    IMG_1945.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_1947.jpg
    IMG_1947.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_1948.jpg
    IMG_1948.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 95
Some questions then sharing what I came up with.....

-kids-ages please

-Measure mom and see how deep the water will need to be to reach the middle of her shoulder blades (I can see the convo at the house now LOL) I have a couple of ideas.

-What do you really see y'all doing in the pool? floating? swimming laps? volley ball? combo of all?

-where do YOU think your pool equipment will go?

Okay here is my two ideas in one pic:

pool and yard.jpg

Note the blue one has the steps right by the AC unit......move the unit and you will have a sun shelf and nice steps for sitting or such. I put purple where the AC unit is. I don't think it would be a good idea to have the steps that close to the unit if we did the small steps beside it.

Both leave you some yard for the kids to play in!!!! SO important for sure!

Tell me what you think. If you don't like it that is okay! It might jog your brain to see what you can do. All I used was paint and my poor skills :roll:

Thank you, Kim. We had suggested these placements and were told "they don't look good" and "it's not customary". Call me crazy, but I'm of the thought that exterior pool design can be made to complement regardless of what shape or placement. My impression is they don't really do anything new or innovative per residence; it's just rinse and repeat, which has been both disappointing and frustrating.

Kids just turned 6yo & 8yo. Both are very tall (4'1" & 4'4"). I'm 6' tall and want a minimum of 7' for the deep end. The kids like to search under water for toys, water fights, Marco Polo, etc., and will spend hours in the pool each day. Last year, we had an above ground 18' round pool, which was 4' deep, and it was small... enough room for 4 floaties, but not much else, and the little swimmers did excellent.

Desires are few: 18" Cabo shelf, deep end, if possible, 4' shallow end. I want to fit a paddleboard in the pool for yoga, so I need 10'-11' just for the board. :paddle: Presumably, the kids will copy that too, lol, but we can always take turns.

Pump will likely go on the right (wide side) yard and up the alley side of the house.

None of this seems extreme, but are wants have just not been heard.

P.S. Nice custom emoji!

pool design3.jpg

YOUR yard, YOUR pool, YOUR money=YOUR way!!!

Okay here is the new one----deep end=as long as you can get to help with the slope from shallow to deep end. Now you can always make a "bowl" of a deep end----shallow all the same then the deep end. Maybe using a pool float rope to divide the two depths and "maker tiles set into the plaster where the bowl starts to help the eyes see it.

Note the TS=tanning shelf, green is benches, red is steps.

If you want a diving pool you need to go to 8'. Are you interested in a diving board? Check your insurance before you say yes. They might say nope :roll:

Keep looking until you find a PB that will LISTEN to you.

I have another idea that I am going to whip up after you let me know about diving or not.

We were in the same boat. Our yard is about 70’ x 50’ and I wanted about half of the yard to remain grass. Here are some of my pictures.
4d4d8557d3f712de8b6e63cb924f7a9c.jpg
0bbed4d04e62fcd110df2560eeb382e4.jpg
cee06bfabd8d6aa873350f1f0809cd14.jpg

We got our sprinklers done last week and having the sod laid this weekend so I can get you more pics of the entire yard then if you are interested. I have a 2 year old and no parks nearby so I needed a place to kick the soccer ball with her.

We were in the same boat. Our yard is about 70’ x 50’ and I wanted about half of the yard to remain grass. Here are some of my pictures.

We got our sprinklers done last week and having the sod laid this weekend so I can get you more pics of the entire yard then if you are interested. I have a 2 year old and no parks nearby so I needed a place to kick the soccer ball with her.

Sorry for my delayed response, and thanks for the reply. Your pool looks beautiful!

Thank you! I love my mini me! I feel the love every time I see her or use her! Our IT guy made her for me! :hug:

This is our final pool design. We got the Cabo shelf, a 4’ deep kids section, a deep end, and are adding 1 or 2 Badu SwimJets. SwimJets will allow us to paddle/knee/boogie board, kayak, and of course swim, lol, but they’re really there for all the other fun stuff.

Attachments

• 433062E3-D478-45F3-8104-7BEE4610988F.jpg
    433062E3-D478-45F3-8104-7BEE4610988F.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 50
  • 7CED9107-1D70-42E4-8E7E-087E492CCBF8.jpg
    7CED9107-1D70-42E4-8E7E-087E492CCBF8.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 53

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here is one build that used swim jets: New Build - Spring TX but he has not been on the boards since Dec. 2017 :( You can read his awesome thread for some input on his jets.

There is another one I will look for but as far as I remember he never finished this build thread and did not talk about how the jets worked for him.

We are in the process of installing swim jets in our build and decided to go with the Badu Stream II system. Search for "Chapel Hill NC Build of our own design". We went with 2 round nozzles with one 4 hp pump. I found a review on youtube with a triathlete who recommended the Stream II with two 4hp pumps for a really strong current.
Badu SwimJet - Package D Review - YouTube
Hopefully I can test fire our system in about 4 weeks.

Kim