Pool Rehab - Salt Generator worth it? and Sand or DE Filter?

Aug 4, 2015
Boston, MA
Hello TFP community,

I am lining up a pool rehab on our vinyl liner pool. Looking for opinions on first is it worth the 1800 to install a salt water generator? Health wise wondering how much better based on the generator essentially generates chlorine and also I have heard that eve though I would save on product eventually the generator can go and need to be replaced wiping out that savings. The other question is going sand or DE filter and curious again health wise maybe sand is better but DE filters much better than sand I have heard. Hoping to get other opinions so thanks for chiming in.

Chlorine is chlorine. How you generate it/ add it to your pool is a decision.
You can use liquid chlorine, eg bleach. You need to add it daily during swim season. No side effects.
You can use a SWCG. It uses the salt in the pool to create chlorine which when it is depleted returns to salt. Essentially buying your chlorine up front. They eventually need to be replaced.
You can use solid chlorine. Trichlor, dichlor, or calcium hypochlorite. All three add things that are a problem when they get too high. CYA or calcium.

A SWCG creates the easiest daily maintenance routine. But you have a short season. So that is a decision point. And you must run your pump to create the chlorine. With your single speed pump (I think, not much detail in signature) it will cost you in electricity.

Filters are not much different. Sand filters have to be backwashed but last a long time. DE filters (normal) have to be backwashed and DE added each time. Hybrid DE (cartridge with DE) are not backwashed but have to be cleaned and DE added. Cartridge filters just need to be cleaned. All clean the pool essentially equally. Biggest advantage to sand filters is if you are using solid chlorine and want to fight algae a few times each year.

So there are some options. Decisions Decisions -------

Still DE. The Quad DE uses special cartridge filters with DE. You do not backwash. You clean them as needed.

The easiest is a cartridge filter in my view. In your area you would clean the cartridges at the end of the season.
Or the sand, if you decide to go with solid chlorine as they are easiest to deal with when you have algae.

i'm liking my DE filter. I hate adding DE cause it blows all over, but my builder keeps telling me the sparkle is there vs cart. Everytime he is at my pool he always says it sparkles so bright and is so crystal clear, but i think that's because of all the great folks here especially my "pool tutors" that are on speed dial when i get all nervous. lol

i have salt. i never considered not doing it.

jim

i'm liking my DE filter. I hate adding DE cause it blows all over, but my builder keeps telling me the sparkle is there vs cart. Everytime he is at my pool he always says it sparkles so bright and is so crystal clear, but i think that's because of all the great folks here especially my "pool tutors" that are on speed dial when i get all nervous. lol

i have salt. i never considered not doing it.

jim

Your builder is probably used to looking at “professionally” maintained pools! Ha! But I’m sure it looks gorgeous.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I hate adding DE cause it blows all over...

Jim,

So how do you go about your adding DE? I used to dump dry DE into the skimmer with the pump running, but someone here pointed me to a much better way...

Basically you get a 5 gallon box store bucket.. You add all the dry DE you are going to use into the bucket.. In my case it takes about 3/4 of the bucket.. then you add water to the bucket. It appears there is no room for the water, but because DE is basically hollow, you will be amazed at the amount of water that can be added..

Then you mix up the water and DE into a slurry, and with the pump running, slowly pour the slurry into the skimmer.

Keeps the dust to a minimum and I believe that it does a better job of coating the grids...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.