Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Rehab - Salt Generator worth it? and Sand or DE Filter?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Rehab - Salt Generator worth it? and Sand or DE Filter?

Hello TFP community,

I am lining up a pool rehab on our vinyl liner pool. Looking for opinions on first is it worth the 1800 to install a salt water generator? Health wise wondering how much better based on the generator essentially generates chlorine and also I have heard that eve though I would save on product eventually the generator can go and need to be replaced wiping out that savings. The other question is going sand or DE filter and curious again health wise maybe sand is better but DE filters much better than sand I have heard. Hoping to get other opinions so thanks for chiming in.
    IG 15 X 30 Rectangle Vinyl Liner Built 1994
    Hayward DE 3620 Vertical Pro Grid
    AquaCal Heat Pump
    18K gallons

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Rehab - Salt Generator worth it? and Sand or DE Filter?

Chlorine is chlorine. How you generate it/ add it to your pool is a decision.
    You can use liquid chlorine, eg bleach. You need to add it daily during swim season. No side effects.
    You can use a SWCG. It uses the salt in the pool to create chlorine which when it is depleted returns to salt. Essentially buying your chlorine up front. They eventually need to be replaced.
    You can use solid chlorine. Trichlor, dichlor, or calcium hypochlorite. All three add things that are a problem when they get too high. CYA or calcium.

A SWCG creates the easiest daily maintenance routine. But you have a short season. So that is a decision point. And you must run your pump to create the chlorine. With your single speed pump (I think, not much detail in signature) it will cost you in electricity.

Filters are not much different. Sand filters have to be backwashed but last a long time. DE filters (normal) have to be backwashed and DE added each time. Hybrid DE (cartridge with DE) are not backwashed but have to be cleaned and DE added. Cartridge filters just need to be cleaned. All clean the pool essentially equally. Biggest advantage to sand filters is if you are using solid chlorine and want to fight algae a few times each year.

So there are some options. Decisions Decisions -------
    6000 Gallon IG Fiberglass with integrated Spa;Pentair CCP240 Cartridge Filter with Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump and HTR250 heater. IC40 SWG. EasyTouch 4. Dolphin Active20 Robot "Roadrunner", TF 100 Test Kit w/SpeedStir!
    CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool.com Supporter!! Pool Math App
    Marty

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks a lot Marty. I heard there is some DE filter by Pentair that uses like crushed glass or something so there is no need to pour it?
    IG 15 X 30 Rectangle Vinyl Liner Built 1994
    Hayward DE 3620 Vertical Pro Grid
    AquaCal Heat Pump
    18K gallons

4. Back To Top    #4

Still DE. The Quad DE uses special cartridge filters with DE. You do not backwash. You clean them as needed.

The easiest is a cartridge filter in my view. In your area you would clean the cartridges at the end of the season.
    Or the sand, if you decide to go with solid chlorine as they are easiest to deal with when you have algae.
    6000 Gallon IG Fiberglass with integrated Spa;Pentair CCP240 Cartridge Filter with Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump and HTR250 heater. IC40 SWG. EasyTouch 4. Dolphin Active20 Robot "Roadrunner", TF 100 Test Kit w/SpeedStir!
    CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool.com Supporter!! Pool Math App
    Marty

5. Back To Top    #5

You can always add a little DE to the top of a sand filter bed to give you that extra bit of "sparkle" too.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

Look into cartridge filters too, I am partial. Pool School - Pool Filter Comparison

If my pool didn't have an autocover I would buy a SWG. With the autocover and understanding what my pool needs I can get by adding chlorine one to two times a week most of the season. If I had to add it more often I would have a SWG.
    20'x48' 40,000 gal. Vinyl, Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST, Sta-Rite PLM300 System 2 Cartridge Filter, and a Pentair Mastertemp 250 heater all controlled by Pentair Easy Touch with Screen Logic. Dolphin Premier pool attendant.
    I've got iron stained well water. TF-100 and Speed Stir, Lamotte 3017-G for Borates

7. Back To Top    #7

I went with a SWG and a cartridge filter. double the size you need for SWG and get the biggest filter you need.
    Baytown, TX- A&S 2017 build 35'x20 18,000 gal , IG SWG system, 3'-6.5' with tanning shelf, Jandy FloPro 2 HP VS w/ controller, Nature 2 Fusion Soft 1400, Polaris sport 9450 robot, 460 sq ft cartridge filter, 1 Hayward colorlogic pool light, A&S white mini pebble plaster, 12" sq edge travertine coping and blue sea- light water tile

8. Back To Top    #8

i'm liking my DE filter. I hate adding DE cause it blows all over, but my builder keeps telling me the sparkle is there vs cart. Everytime he is at my pool he always says it sparkles so bright and is so crystal clear, but i think that's because of all the great folks here especially my "pool tutors" that are on speed dial when i get all nervous. lol

i have salt. i never considered not doing it.

jim
    TFP - Come for advice, stay for the education, leave with knowledge -
    35x23/20 free form gunite 3.5-6 feet water. 20,000 gallons. 2 skim, 2 ret, floor ret, floor return. 2 inch solid. suction cleaning line. 1.5 inch solid. super blue diamond brite. NPT Gemstone Blue 2x2 with custom Disney Mickey markers. pentair equipment. master temp 300,000 BTU. de 60. inteliflo 3.0 VS. swg ic40. 3 globrite LED's. ET 4/SL. tf-100/ salt kit

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by jimim View Post
    i'm liking my DE filter. I hate adding DE cause it blows all over, but my builder keeps telling me the sparkle is there vs cart. Everytime he is at my pool he always says it sparkles so bright and is so crystal clear, but i think that's because of all the great folks here especially my "pool tutors" that are on speed dial when i get all nervous. lol

i have salt. i never considered not doing it.

jim
    Your builder is probably used to looking at “professionally” maintained pools! Ha! But I’m sure it looks gorgeous.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking | Merlin SmartMesh winter safety cover
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

10. Back To Top    #10

i don't even want to get into how laid back he is. lol good guy though. totally cares and builds a great pool!
    TFP - Come for advice, stay for the education, leave with knowledge -
    35x23/20 free form gunite 3.5-6 feet water. 20,000 gallons. 2 skim, 2 ret, floor ret, floor return. 2 inch solid. suction cleaning line. 1.5 inch solid. super blue diamond brite. NPT Gemstone Blue 2x2 with custom Disney Mickey markers. pentair equipment. master temp 300,000 BTU. de 60. inteliflo 3.0 VS. swg ic40. 3 globrite LED's. ET 4/SL. tf-100/ salt kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by jimim View Post
    I hate adding DE cause it blows all over...
    Jim,

So how do you go about your adding DE? I used to dump dry DE into the skimmer with the pump running, but someone here pointed me to a much better way...

Basically you get a 5 gallon box store bucket.. You add all the dry DE you are going to use into the bucket.. In my case it takes about 3/4 of the bucket.. then you add water to the bucket. It appears there is no room for the water, but because DE is basically hollow, you will be amazed at the amount of water that can be added..

Then you mix up the water and DE into a slurry, and with the pump running, slowly pour the slurry into the skimmer.

Keeps the dust to a minimum and I believe that it does a better job of coating the grids...

Thanks,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.