Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward Heater Error Code b d

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward Heater Error Code b d

I have a Hayward H250IDL2 heater with Service light with a "bd" code (both b and d are lower case). This code is not in the manual. Does anyone have an idea what this code refers to?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward Heater Error Code b d

Check the fc4 fuse.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

3. Back To Top    #3

fc4 fuse is good. I'm getting 120V over to the control module.

4. Back To Top    #4

Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the link to the trouble shooting guide. The guide only mentions a BD code (B&D both capital). I am getting 120V over to the control board, in which case the guide says to replace the ICB. The code I am getting is bd (both lower case). In the manual for my unit it mentions a bD code relating either to the gas valve or a "data retrieval error".

6. Back To Top    #6

I think that the troubleshooting guide applies. Follow the steps for the BD code starting on page 33.

The codes you are referring to go to a H250FD, but you say that you have a H250IDL2.

Does the manual go to a H250FD?

Are you sure that you have an H250IDL2?
    Support the site

7. Back To Top    #7

I definitely have a H250IDL2 and the "Installation, Operation & Service Procedures" that came with it. There are two sets of codes in the manual. There is a Troubleshooting Chart with a list of codes including BD. Then a few pages later there is an Error Codes chart which includes the bD code. There is no code anywhere in the manual for bd (all lower case). In the manual it mentions the operating software as being Version 13 (written on top of the control board). I changed out my control board in February 2013. This new board has Version 15 written on top. I wonder if Hayward added additional error codes in the Version 15 software.

8. Back To Top    #8

Did you do the tests as described?
    Support the site

9. Back To Top    #9

Yes I did the tests for the BD code. The fc4 fuse is good and I'm getting 120V at the control board.

10. Back To Top    #10

Support the site

11. Back To Top    #11

Yes I did all 4 steps.

12. Back To Top    #12

Ok, it looks like you need a new fuse board.
    Support the site

13. Back To Top    #13

It looks like by step 3, I need a new ICB.

14. Back To Top    #14

Ok, I agree on ICB.
    Support the site

15. Back To Top    #15

Thanks for your help.

16. Back To Top    #16

You're welcome.
    Support the site

17. Back To Top    #17

re, how old is your heater ? I see you live in Katy...is your installer from that area or nearby? If your heater is barely or near out of warranty, sometimes the dealer can get the part from Hayward free [or you can] then just pay the install costs...if it's 4 yrs old, prob not.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's your part and a starting point:

https://www.amazon.com/Hayward-IDXL2.../dp/B004VTGY3S
    InGround 15K gal, 18'x30' 3.5' to 5.5' depth w/ 9'x9' spillover Spa, Pebblesheen w/ Travertine, Hayward 3 HP VSP, Hayward C4030 Cartridge, Hayward 1.5 HP for 2 Scupper columns, ProLogic, PL-PS-8 Panel, Hayward H400FD 400K BTU Heater, 3 ColorLogic LED, Spa Blower, TF-100 w S-Stick, QC Tiger Shark, Autofill If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!