Replacing sand in filter

Hey guys I have a Hayward 244T sand filter and sand is bypassing so I’m replacing the tree and all the sand....

So my question is where should I order the sand ??? I want a quality product and I’m having trouble finding so if some one can chime in that would be great . Also I am attaching a photo of my current unit :)

Thanks for every ones support and help
5c595c53fbe501b955c799e661826ba3.jpg

No reason to replace the sand unless gummed up by pool store potions or baquacil. If you need to remove it to repair laterals put it in a wheelbarrow or other container.

If you really want to replace the sand you can buy it at Home Depot or Pool stores.

Really the only sand we have seen issues with, as far as I know, is the Quikrete sand carried by Home Depot. I think there was some QA issues at one time and some incorrectly sized sand got in to the mix. Otherwise any 20 or 20/40 grade sand should work.

Don't order the sand online. Shipping on a 50 lb bag of sand costs twice as much as the sand itself does. You should be able to find some locally fairly easily. On top of that, sand doesn't really go bad so if you save the sand you remove you can put it right back in. Give it a good rinse while it is out and it will be good as new.

The 'small particles' in your water is not necessarily due to sand. As I remember, you do not have a proper test kit and thus are not maintaining this water to ensure it is algae free. It is your pool so do as you wish, but I would suggest that you should give properly managing your pool water chemistry a try prior to blaming a sand filter.

Sand filter also work best a bit dirty. Be sure you are not backwashing until you see an increase in your filter pressure of 25% above clean pressure.

Like I said before, sand in the Backwash is nothing to worry about, the water is going backwards through the filter to clean off the top of the sand and some sand is going to get added in. If you have a bad lateral in the filter the sand enters the pool through the returns.
When you backwash you are cleaning the filter, the fine partials you see in the site glass have been filtered out, that is why they are in the site glass. Also make sure you rinse for a bit to clean out the laterals after backwashing.

Sand in the backwash is usually due to an oversized pump or there is too much sand in the filter.

If you're not getting sand coming out of the returns, your laterals are probably ok.

What pump do you have?

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

What model/size of pump? A more complete signature really helps. See mine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Those results are from a true test kit, not strips? What kit do you have?

Please update the signature.

CL 1.0
PH 7.4
TA is 220 which is high high
The FC is meaningless without the corresponding CYA reading. But, with that being said 1.0 is low unless there is no CYA in the pool.

The test kit you have simply does not provide the accuracy and consistency you need. It is missing the required CYA test and the FC test is a color match OTO te4st limited to 5FC.

Order a TF100 or the only other real option for a test kit is a Taylor K-2006. Be careful comparing prices because the K-2006 comes in sizes, designated by a letter. The basic K-2006 has .75oz bottles. You need to get the K-2006-C to get the larger bottles that you want. Even then it is a little short on the reagent & powder for the FAS/DPD test.

Your test kit does not have a FAS-DPD test for FC and CC. You also need a test for CYA.

I strongly suggest getting one of the two test kits the forum recommends. The Taylor K2006C or the TF100. I have the TF100 from TFTestkits.net.

I suggest you get one too.

Take care.

Good start on the signature!

What type of pool surface do you have? Fiberlgass, gunite, vinyl?
I thought you said you had a SWCG? If so, please show the model and size.

Be sure you ordered the K2006 C. The regular K2006 has very small amounts of testing materials, especially for the tests you do the most, FAS-DPD and CYA.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.