Low Free Chlorine fix

Jun 3, 2008
West Grove, PA
I've had an issue with my FC being consistently low for about 3 years. I joined here to take control and since i did, It's been better, but not perfect. I just found a fix for my specific problem and figured that i'd post it, in case it's of any help to someone else.

Circumstances (dead bird in skimmer and me 120 miles away) forced me to have my wife purchase a powdered shock that i probably would not have bought had I been home and had a choice. This specific shock contained a trace amount of copper as an algecide. I had my wife put 1 lb of this in the pool until i got back to civilization. Bottom line...my pool has been sparkling clear for about 7 weeks and the FC is now measuring in the 3-5 range consistently. The copper algacide is the only thing that I've done differently, so I have to assume that this was the fix for me. (unless you want to try putting a dead bird in your skimmer :lol: )While this may not be the fix for others, that was the best $5 I've spent on my pool in about 3 years. Now I am able to maintain using BBB and keep FC at a respectable level.

BTW, I couldn't do any of this without the TFT Test Kit. :cheers:

Kurt

Hi, Kurt,

I am pleased that your pool has been clear. I would not like for others to think that copper is the answer to any low FC issue........it is not.

If you have low FC, you add more FC.

If your FC is being rapidly depleted you have organics in your pool or you lack CYA or both. the answer is adequate (more) FC.

Copper is never the answer and the forum never recommends that anyone put copper into their pool.

I'm still happy for you but I would not suggest you continue to use any copper product.

Kurt,

Only thing I can figure is you've had a nascent algae bloom going in your pool that's been consuming chlorine, and the copper finally killed it off. With that said (and glad that it worked for you), I can't advocate adding copper to a pool for any reason. As I'm sure you know if you've been on the forums for a while, the risks far outweigh the gains.

edit - Oops! Dave beat me to it!

Ahhhhh....Shot down in flames. :hammer:

Don't get me wrong, i'm not trying to contradict any of the advice provided here. I am so glad I found this forum and the people who provide the info. I happily drive right by the pool stores now, waving one finger. I was following the advice here and using the polyquat algacide occasionally (vaca) and shocking the Crud out of my pool with gallon upon gallon of bleach. Still had low FC. It drove me nuts to the point where i just gave up and said, OK I'll just deal with the low FC. One bag of that shock and all my frustration has disappeared. I can't explain why. That shock did what I could not and like I said, it may not be the answer for everyone or the recommended fix, but i haven't thought about the pool for weeks. Just enjoying it. Not continuing to use the product, just BBB since then.

There wouldn't have been enough copper in 1 lb of "shock" to have any effect. Chlorine with added copper is designed to bring the copper level up slowly over months of using their products. Only a copper based algaecide is designed to add enough copper in one dose to have an effect.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.