How much Sodium Bicarbonate do you put in your pool, month to month?

Zero.

Never need it. My fill water has more than enough alkalinity in it.

Also, pH-Up products are almost exclusively soda ash (washing soda or sodium carbonate). Alkalinity-Up products are baking soda. Typically speaking, alkalinity raising chemicals are unnecessary unless you have acidic fill water (low TA and low pH) and/or you use acidic chlorine sources (trichlor/dichlor).

Zero.

Never need it. My fill water has more than enough alkalinity in it.

Also, pH-Up products are almost exclusively soda ash (washing soda or sodium carbonate). Alkalinity-Up products are baking soda. Typically speaking, alkalinity raising chemicals are unnecessary unless you have acidic fill water (low TA and low pH) and/or you use acidic chlorine sources (trichlor/dichlor).

Yeah, fixed that typo. I realize it depends on fill water mostly. I just was curious as to on average what amounts people here find they use.

If you use trichlor, you will need about 1.14 lb bicarb per lb of tabs to compensate for the TA and pH drop. That's about 0.5 lb per 7 oz tab.

Other than that, you shouldn't need to add bicarb on a regular basis.

If you use trichlor, you will need about 1.14 lb bicarb per lb of tabs to compensate for the TA and pH drop. That's about 0.5 lb per 7 oz tab.

Other than that, you shouldn't need to add bicarb on a regular basis.

:goodpost:

Thanks for the quick rule-of-thumb James!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was looking for what test kit you use. Not just for alkalinity. A signature would help us help you.

Take care.

Since the TA is a buffer to pH, there really wont be an across the board average either on how much to add, how often or whatnot.

The best TA level is the one which keep your pH stable for the longest period of time. so its going to vary considerably.

The Huntington Beach Water Quality report from 2017 (see HERE) inidcates a TA of anywhere from 126ppm to 155ppm with a CH value between 50-70ppm (wow, how nice to have such low CH fill water!!). The pH is on the high side at 8.0-8.1. If one were using pH neutral forms of chlorine (chlorinating liquid or an SWG), then no bicarb additions would be necessary and one would likely being using muriatic acid regularly to keep the pH and TA in check. The fill water would already have a CSI value close to zero so not much acid would be needed.

For me, it's zero.

Our fill water has TA of 50, so there's ample incoming TA normally.

One day in 2016, we got a really big rain (>7") that dropped my TA by 30 ppm and happened to be helpful with high TA at the time. If I had already dropped TA down to 50 or 60, then I might have needed to add some, so I keep three pounds of baking soda in stock (which is still there).

I could also use that if I ever had a warranty claim / service call and needed to bump my TA up to 80 ppm to be in line with an equipment manual temporarily.

Just checked mine on Saturday. TA is 40 and ph is 7.5.........I target a TA of 50 in the summer and haven't added a thing since September. Seems to be my sweet spot for ph. I usually have to add 4 or 5 boxes of baking soda by the time the season rolls around after all the winter rain water and draining down and such.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.