Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Niche Bonding

1. Back To Top    #1

Niche Bonding

Hi all, I'm an electrician with a dilemma!
    So a customer had some trenching done by the pool and the conduit to the pool light got hit. I've already repaired the PVC and pulled in a #6 bonding wire. Problem is, once the potting was removed, it revealed a severely corroded lug. Question is, am I SOL with the existing niche or are there options to remake a solid bond?
    Thanks.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Niche Bonding

There are bolt on lugs that you could use and you should also re-pot the area with potting compound. Since you probably can't access the back of the niche to bolt the lug on, you'll have to use a rivet or a threaded insert.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
    There are bolt on lugs that you could use and you should also re-pot the area with potting compound. Since you probably can't access the back of the niche to bolt the lug on, you'll have to use a rivet or a threaded insert.
    Thanks for your reply. I was thinking a copper lug would do but just not confident in how to secure it in a way that would pass an inspection. I definitely don't want any leaks! I'm assuming that there's concrete directly behind the niche, so if I drilled the niche, I would also have to drill concrete in order to install a rivet. Would the rivet have to be brass, or would the potting compound protect aluminum?

4. Back To Top    #4

The potting compound would protect the aluminum from the chemicals, but it would help with the galvanic corrosion. That's why I suggested the threaded insert. You can get those in stainless. If you go with the rivet, then I'd suggest brass if you can find it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

20180219_111250.jpg
    20180219_105745.jpg
    So I ended up getting lucky and actually had something to work with. Tapped that stud at 1/4" and well, you can see the rest!
    It passed inspection. Thanks for the replies.

6. Back To Top    #6

Good job! Glad it was as easy as it was. It could have been a lot worse.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator