Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New member in Maryland

1. Back To Top    #1

New member in Maryland

Hi,

We purchased a foreclosure about 6 yrs ago that had a pool that hadn't been opened in quite some time. It is finally time for us to figure out what to do with it. I've never owned a pool before but this looks like a great resource and I'm already sold on your chemical care method! I have a lot of questions about getting the pool back in shape which I will try to post in the correct place. Its a cement pool with cat-tail and many frogs. The frogs better watch out because we have 4 ducks that also enjoy the pool. I'm hoping to evict them all so the kids can use it.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New member in Maryland

So you have the whole eco system going on there. It is not the first one we have seen so rest easy knowing we can get that pond turned back into a pool!

The first thing you have to do is order a test kit. Look on my siggy below to find the one you need. You will also need the xl size since has been a while.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Josh,

Welcome to TFP... a great place to find the answers to all your pool rescue questions... whether your town wears a 'Crown' or not...

Thanks for posting a great introduction.. looking forward to all your rehab questions..

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

4. Back To Top    #4

I also have a great link for you to read to start learning our "language":

TFPC for Beginners

I can't wait to start working on this one!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Wow. You have kids *and an unused pool* for 6 years?!? My kids would have been nagging me non-stop to get it cleared out and working. Yours must be very young.

Can you show us pictures of this nature habitat? Before the frog eviction notice is sent? And keep showing us pics as you proceed. We love stories like this.

Maddie
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

New member in Maryland

Welcome! You should do a Renaissance themed pool.

Looking forward to watching your efforts.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking | Merlin SmartMesh winter safety cover
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

Hi Josh,

I was in a similar position last year, and got a lot of great advice from the folks here. Here's the thread:
    Would like to resurrect an abandoned pool...

=================================================
    25,000 gal plaster/concrete Sylvan
    CircuPool RJ60+ salt water chlorine generator
    CircuPool VJ-3 VS pump, Old Pentair cartridge filter
    TF-100 test kit, Taylor K-1766 salt test, speed stir

8. Back To Top    #8

Oh Wow! I had no idea how many people had responded. Already getting some helpful tips. I'm planning on posting a thread in the next couple of days probably in "under construction". We got a good start this weekend so stay tuned. I'll definitely need to find a nice picture of our ducks enjoying our little paradise.

9. Back To Top    #9

Okay I started a thread in the "under construction" section last night. I didn't get very far but now that it is started I'll try to get some pictures of our progress put up soon.

Looking at the other reno threads it looks like I'm worse off, but I still feel hopeful.
    ~25,000 gallon in-ground cement pool
    ~1,000 gallon hot tub
    Current cleaning method: natural cattail root filtration. Ducks for frog removal. :)
    Equipment - not working
    Deck material - brick with weeds.