Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coldest temp you will swim in?

1. Back To Top    #1

Coldest temp you will swim in?

Our pool was finished in Dec. But even in Houston, it was too cold to swim. We are now breaking out of our strangely cold winter. Pool temp is up 67*. I stepped in today, all the way up to the knee, and while it was cold, it was tempted to swim.

So, what is the minimum temp you will jump in the pool and swim in?
    Rectangular 24'x40' Salt Water, 4' to 6'. Pentair EasyTouch 8, Screen Logic 2, w/wireless kit. Pentair IntelliFlo VSF Pump, Pentair CCP520 Cartridge Filter, Pentair IC60 Cell, Wet Edge Northshore Tahoe finish. ~28,000 gallons. TF-100 Test Kit. Completed: Dec 2017 Build Thread

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Coldest temp you will swim in?

85 degF
    6000 Gallon IG Fiberglass with integrated Spa;Pentair CCP240 Cartridge Filter with Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump and HTR250 heater. IC40 SWG. EasyTouch 4. Dolphin Active20 Robot "Roadrunner", TF 100 Test Kit w/SpeedStir!
    CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool.com Supporter!! Pool Math App
    Marty

3. Back To Top    #3

80F but I'll only stay in for a short time. Here is a link to an NIH study of Open Water Swimming in hot & cold environments -

Moving in extreme environments: open water swimming in cold and warm water
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

4. Back To Top    #4

76 degrees. I don't know how people swim in places like Australia where the water is always in the 20s or 30s.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

5. Back To Top    #5

s,

I like 82 to 84, but will go in at 80... I find it interesting that I like my air temp in the house to be 72 but need the pool to be 82 and sunny.. If not sunny, even 82 is cold to me.

Thanks,

Jim R.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    76 degrees. I don't know how people swim in places like Australia where the water is always in the 20s or 30s.
    Yeah.. you'd think it would be to 'thick' to swim in...

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

6. Back To Top    #6

And Australia is down under, so how does the water stay in the pool?
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

7. Back To Top    #7

78 if I *have* to....but ideally 85+.

Maddie
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

8. Back To Top    #8

I will find out in a couple weeks!
    6000 Gallon IG Fiberglass with integrated Spa;Pentair CCP240 Cartridge Filter with Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump and HTR250 heater. IC40 SWG. EasyTouch 4. Dolphin Active20 Robot "Roadrunner", TF 100 Test Kit w/SpeedStir!
    CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool.com Supporter!! Pool Math App
    Marty

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by mknauss View Post
    I will find out in a couple weeks!
    Be careful, the water in their toilet bowls spins the wrong way....
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

10. Back To Top    #10

We bring along an axe and machete to clear the solid water in front of us.

- - - Updated - - -

Chelates
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, K-1106 and CCL test kits; Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWCG 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; Other family pools 10K SWCG and 15K on liquid; PoolMath app subscriber; | Tips for New Members to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    Be careful, the water in their toilet bowls spins the wrong way....
    Independent verification included for clarity: Homer Simpson meets US Marine - YouTube

- - - Updated - - -

28.4 is my minimum.
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, K-1106 and CCL test kits; Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWCG 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; Other family pools 10K SWCG and 15K on liquid; PoolMath app subscriber; | Tips for New Members to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

12. Back To Top    #12

This is my favorite line from Moving in extreme environments: open water swimming in cold and warm water

"Some years later, Golden et al. [49] showed that outdoor swimmers could be thin provided they were fast, they could be fat and fast, and they could be fat and slow; what they could not be was thin and slow!"

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by needsajet View Post
    This is my favorite line from Moving in extreme environments: open water swimming in cold and warm water

"Some years later, Golden et al. [49] showed that outdoor swimmers could be thin provided they were fast, they could be fat and fast, and they could be fat and slow; what they could not be was thin and slow!"
    I definitely fall in that 3rd category....
    Matt

14. Back To Top    #14

Yeh me too, and I'm basking in the affirmation!

15. Back To Top    #15

Prefer 30*C but will swim in 28*C at a push. I don't find the water thick at that temp but my hubby does. Our youngest starts to turn blue if it's too chilly. He's a skinny, little thing.

3.2 x 6m | inground concrete | ~27,000 litre | 1.2 - 1.8m | salt and pepper mini pebble | SWCG Atral eq35| Viron xt 1.5 HP VS pump | Astral CA280 sand filter | DB3 robot | 2 x LED lights | travertine coping and paving | ceramic waterline tile |

16. Back To Top    #16

When I was a young lad in NH we all used to go swimming in Hampton beach which in peak summer was still usually in the 60's. Now as a long time FL resident I might (when desperate take a quick dip in the lower 80's) but usually it must be 85 or above. Today it was 90 and that was perfect!
    -Tim-
    Pool: 86 gunite/plaster screened IG 12K 14' X 29', Hayward 120 sq ft cartridge filter, Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST, Hayward SwimPure 40K SWCG, Hayward Poolvergnuegen autovac,
    Heat: 280 sq ft Ultrasun solar Panels, Pentair Solartouch Ctrl, (solar cover and reel)
    Tests: Taylor K-2006C & K-1766 w/ speedstir

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by BasicTek View Post
    When I was a young lad in NH we all used to go swimming in Hampton beach which in peak summer was still usually in the 60's. Now as a long time FL resident I might (when desperate take a quick dip in the lower 80's) but usually it must be 85 or above. Today it was 90 and that was perfect!
    Amazing how that happens, huh?

Just like 60 degrees in spring feels wonderful, yet in the fall it is freezing!!

Maddie
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

18. Back To Top    #18

82 degrees is the absolute lowest, but just a quick in and out
    6,000 gal, IG free form,Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish,Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues,Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump,Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15,Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers,Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Pentair IntelliBrite, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer Our New Poolbuild, Jacksonville, FL yr 2009 Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

19. Back To Top    #19

It depends on the air temp. The hotter it is outside the colder the water can be. My pool is about 78 right now with air temps in low 80s. The air would need to be in the 90s for me to swim right now,
    Embassy 18 x 52 Elite Sea AG, Doughboy Skimmer, Black Diamond Filter 1.5hp, Intex Saltwater System Model #ECO6110, Polaris 65 "Dory", TF100, 2001 Hotsprings Landmark Hot Tub
    Pool Thread: New pool build Backyard: Our backyard paradise is almost complete!!; Added TIC gs4 8 dvc speaker....love my sound system!

20. Back To Top    #20

Note: Don't measure water temperature in Kelvin because it's too hot. For example, 80 f is 300 k, which is crazy hot.
    Support the site

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast