Intex "plastic" above ground pool gray slime.

Feb 17, 2018
South Africa
I bought an Intex above ground pool recently (http://www.intexsa.co.za/10ft-x-30in-easy-set-pool-2). I'm not completely sure if it's only a South African product. I realise it's not the "real deal" but I still try maintain it as well possible for my kids even though the filter that comes with it is quite inadequate.

I went to have a look today and noticed some gray "slime" around the inlet filter and some spots on the floor. I have just spent an hour Googling and can't find anything that looks the same and has the same colour. I'm wary for my kids to use the pool so i'm thinking of draining it and refilling. I'm just not sure if I need to "wash" the pool or treat the new fill with something to prevent this returning?

The slime almost looks like the slime you would find in a washing machine filter. It is quite slippery to the touch and when I squeezed the water it became quite firm and almost like "clay" but not sticky.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have no idea if it could be a health risk :(

WhatsApp Image 2018-02-17 at 17.10.48(1).jpg

WhatsApp Image 2018-02-17 at 17.10.48.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2018-02-17 at 17.10.47(2).jpg

WhatsApp Image 2018-02-17 at 17.10.47(1).jpg

WhatsApp Image 2018-02-17 at 17.10.47(3).jpg

Welcome to TFP!

Don't worry about the kind of pool you have, we have members with all types of pools. From DIY liners in a steel circle, to Intex pop up pools, up to the ones that deserve to be on the cover of pool magazines. They are all bodies of water that have to be maintained and sanitized. And we happen to specialize in maintaining and sanitizing water :D

The first question is always whether you have any test readings you can share. Chlorine, pH, any other levels you might have tested? Also if you could let us know what you used to test so we know what we are working with. Second question, how do you sanitize your water? Assuming chlorine, what type do you use? Solid pucks, or powder (if so, what are the ingredients), or liquid?

Just from the pictures, I'm wondering if you have any wildlife that could be responsible for that? Few algae or bacteria will clump up like that when squeezed, it really looks like animal droppings to me. Ever see any birds enjoying a nice swim, or is it under a tree by chance?

Re: Intex "plastic" above ground pool gray slime.

Thanks for the feedback and hospitality. I was actually sick in bed + I just decided to drain all the water, clean with some dish-wash and bleach, rinse and refill. It may sound quite amateur but i've never actually used a test. After refilling in the water I bought a test kit and the only issue obviously was the chlorine level was low, so even if there was an issue before I think the drain + clean worked.

I should have taken a picture of the outlet "filter" I was using to show how bad the problem was. It wasn't just a couple of possible bird droppings it was literally a handful of slimy gray muck. The picture of the slime I took was not even a 100th of the total slime. The strangest thing was that the water was crystal clear...

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, the slime had no odour to it.

Really suggest you read the link Jim posted above. You need a bit more maintenance than just chlorine.

Take care.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.