Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dophin moves forward, backward and stops

1. Back To Top    #1

Dophin moves forward, backward and stops

This is my first post. I have a Dolphin Cayman (same as Active 20 or S200) and it has around 18 months of use. When I try to start it, it will move forward for about 2 feet, move backwards for about 1 foot and then it will stop completely. When I remove it from the pool and run it upside down, I can hear some clicking coming from the brushes. Anyone ever experienced the same behavior and can perhaps shine some light on the problem here?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dophin moves forward, backward and stops

C,

Welcome to TFP... a great place to find the answers to all your pool equipment questions...

Dolphins go through a self test routine every time they start up.. if the little computer inside detects a fault, it will stop after the self test is over..

On the older ones the suction fan can get jammed and needs to be cleared.

The older power supplies can go bad and when they don't regulate well, they cause the motors to draw too much current, which causes the self test to fail.

Sorry, I have no direct experience with the newer ones..

Let's hope one of our new Dolphin owners can chime in..

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

3. Back To Top    #3

My Dolphin Discovery did this once...turned out the basket was full of leaves. Jam packed.

Check that.

Maddie
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Yup, it's failing the startup test cycle. Obviously check that the basket is empty and that it sinks all the way to the bottom and if free of air pockets inside the machine first. Some initial troubleshooting you can do is make sure the impeller is cycling on and is intact. If the impeller has no fins, or is missing a few, it thinks it's out of water and will shut down. I've also seen debris in the impeller cause similar issues.

Beyond, that Dolphins are a bit hard to troubleshoot, especially over the internet. It may be worth bringing or shipping it to an authorized repair shop to have it scanned and diagnosed properly.
    Aqua Products Certified Premier Service Technician, Maytronics Elite Service Technician, Hayward Authorized Robot Technician. I also dabble in pump, filter, and automotive repair.

Need help choosing a Dolphin? Check out my thread on the features of each model.