How much space needed for a 18x9x52 pool

Nov 18, 2017
Louisville, KY
We're currently house hunting. We found a house online that we really like, but due to the house sitting so far from the street and a garage the back doesn't have much space. There is an open house this Sunday and I will be measuring the yard. From what I'm seeing on Google earth it seems like we might be able to get it to fit an Intex 18x9x52. I would like to know how much space would we need for it? Also will a pool this size realistically work for a family of 7. The kids are 12, 11, 10 (twins), and 8. Three of them are over 5 ft and the other 2 are close to it. Here is a link to a satellite view of the backyard.
Satellite map of The World : Google

Typically you need to have 3 feet of extra space around the pool. This gives you room for all the frame supports, equipment, and to walk around the pool.

That size pool will be full with that many people but it will work.

We're currently house hunting. We found a house online that we really like, but due to the house sitting so far from the street and a garage the back doesn't have much space. There is an open house this Sunday and I will be measuring the yard. From what I'm seeing on Google earth it seems like we might be able to get it to fit an Intex 18x9x52. I would like to know how much space would we need for it? Also will a pool this size realistically work for a family of 7. The kids are 12, 11, 10 (twins), and 8. Three of them are over 5 ft and the other 2 are close to it. Here is a link to a satellite view of the backyard.
Satellite map of The World : Google
You may need to check with the city also to find out distance requirements from property line/ fencing and from the house and/or garage. In my city the pool could be no closer than 5 feet from property line or structures.

Yeap, 5 feet from the property line seems to be the norm in a bunch of states! Don’t go through all the trouble of putting up the pool just to have an inspector shut it down
I put my intex up in 2012 and I applied for and received a city permit. When the inspector came (the first time) he called his supervisor for help because he'd never seen one of these types of pools. I guess I'm the only person in this whole huge city of over a million people that applied for a permit. Trying to do it the" right way". My 4' chain link fence was okay but the wooden steps I'd purchased had to be modified. It had to have a gate and the upright 2"x 2" s on the sides had to be re-positioned to 2" spacing so a 3 year old couldn't get a toe hold and climb up the outside of the steps. I wonder then why you don't HAVE to have a barrier fence around an in-ground pool? Oh, and he missed the huge gaps behind the stair treads. My Shih Tzu found them (a small child could have easily done the same). Thank the Lord I was right there to fish her out of the pool. I immediately blocked those openings too. .

Now setting up my Intex 18x9x52 Ultra Frame pool and been looking for footing spacing. So I got AutoCAD going and came up with this:
NOTES:
1) Dimensions in inches
2) My footings are cast concrete with 1/2" rebar
3) Footing dimensions 15"x15"x2"
View attachment 88502

Here's dimensional data I found on-line:

pool dimensions 1200-1.jpg

....and here's my CAD layout:
Intex 18x9x52 Ultra Frame Pool Plan Dimensions.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.