The saga begins...BYOP build in Gilbert, AZ

uberoval

Silver Supporter
Feb 13, 2018
Gilbert/Az.
Preface: Lived in house for roughly 7 years and we updated the front yard 2 years ago and finally have saved enough $$ to do the backyard as its about as non-inviting as it gets. I
believe the dogs are staging a revolt if something doesn't happen asap.

Started the BYOP process on Tuesday by selecting the $2k plan and have attached a copy of the initial sketch. (Hopefully its attached anyways)

Goals are the following :

• Medium size free-form with integrated spa and no water feature
  • Maybe 2 bubblers w/ Vegas style lights in baja step ?? Do these count as a water feature??
  • in-floor cleaning
  • SWG
  • Built in BBQ somewhere near as noted in sketch
  • Grass area for dogs and small garden for S/O in opposite of yard.
  • Fire pit somewhere in there too
  • Travertine tiles as shown are totally flexible (see above)

I will answer all questions in regards to the BYOP process as its been great so far. My salesman, Todd seems really knowledgeable and I
am going to have a ton of questions.

Hoping to be around $30k-$32k (pool only) as i have been told what i want would normally be $38k-$43k (pool only)

Pictures during the process are definitely on the radar!
Initial pool design-layout.jpg

Reactions: Iwannnapool
This isn't moving near as fast as i had originally thought....

After i had the pool drawn out in the backyard my paver guy suggested a few tweaks in order to help the "flow" so i had BYOP change the plans by rotating the spa to the "2 o'clock" position as opposed to the "4 o'clock" location.
This took about a week and a half to get the new drawing due to Spring Break vacations at BYOP and during that time I did get the permit from city of Gilbert.

After this change I had to have the layout re-painted by a guy who just does this (very professional and and all-around nice guy) and charged just half of his original invoice on the 1st layout. Now it turns out i have to pay for it for a 3rd time
as "pre-grade" has to happen to remove my existing grass/curbing which was never explained to me originally which will erase the current paint lines.

I have 2 excavating guys working on final bids right now and expect to make my decision later today once they get back to me as they both stopped by my house yesterday to get a look at what is needed. Hoping to break ground next week i am
guessing.

I won't go into detail on what i should have done but its safe to say i should have gone a different route based on what i know now. PM me and i will give you my advice.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here is a pic after plumbing and steel. Electric was just completed on Tuesday and I will post a current pic laterpost plumbing and steel.jpg. It passed the pre-shotcrete inspection yesterday
and trying to schedule shot for next week.

Gas line install for heater is scheduled for next Thursday.

All the trades are super busy right now so scheduling is a royal PITA.

Here is a pic after plumbing and steel. Electric was just completed on Tuesday and I will post a current pic laterView attachment 75345. It passed the pre-shotcrete inspection yesterday
and trying to schedule shot for next week.

Gas line install for heater is scheduled for next Thursday.

All the trades are super busy right now so scheduling is a royal PITA.

Wow that’s lots of plumbing! It looks like it goes all the way around the whole permiter.

Getting to know your new baby pool! Love it!

It is time for your own set of links!

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

TFP also has a Pool Math App! Here is the link: Pool Math It is so neat and easy to use!

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

Do you have a test kit yet? Time to think about getting one so you can test your fill water and we can make a shopping list for you. Look in my siggy below to find the one I think is the best buy.

Kim:kim:

Finally decided on the color "Aqua Cool" (Baja Mini Pebble) as we are hoping it will stay a little cooler than the darker colors but I highly doubt it. Waterline tile and the spa dam wall will be the "Oceans Aqua" color tile pictured below.

Tile is scheduled for May 11th so hopefully the paver coping gets installed pretty dang soon. I guess it's back ordered at the local stone companies so it might get interesting.

Mini pebble - tile.jpg

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.