When does Walmart start carrying pool bleach?

Mar 26, 2017
Greenville SC
I'm in SC and we've had a wave of warmer days with temps in the high 60s and low 70s. I haven't been regularly adding bleach to my pool (I didn't close for the summer) but I'm wondering when Walmart starts carrying bleach? My water is still perfectly clear but I may shock early if the warm weather hangs around for a week or two.

Alternately, does anyone know a non pool store alternative for bleach if Walmart waits until early summer?

While our days in SC are starting to warm a little, the water temperature lags behind. Do you have a thermometer in the pool. I don't worry too much until the water gets above 55.

At my Walmart, the 121 oz 8.25% bleach around $2.67 was the same clorine price as the 2 pack (128 oz 10%) liquid clorine. Bleach is always fresher than a liquid clorine product.

I do buy the liquid clorine in the off season for $1.50.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Seen it in the Easley SC Walmart about two weeks ago. Already had a full shelf ready but it's at the regular price of $3.64/ea and I think that's ridiculous! Online is showing it available at several stores around the Greenville area.

Got any good links?

There was none available at my local Walmat but Lowes did have some but its all 6 months old. This prompts the question. How old can the 10% bleach be before it becomes a better buy to simply buy the 6% laundry bleach? Is there a general rule of thumb?

So if the pool bleach I'm finding has date codes making it 6 months or older, I take it I should just settle for fresh 6% instead?

Yes. As long as the 6% is fresh.

Be sure it is not Clorox. Clorox doe not market any bleach that is OK for pools. Use Walmart Great Value, grocery store brands, etc.

It should be plain. No scents, not splashless, not Cloromax.

Walmart Great Value and most grocery store brands are plain. Be wary of Home Depot or Lowes Liquid Chlorine, it is stored outside and is degraded in warmer weather.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.