New IG Pool Build - Cincinnati (northern Kentucky) - please advise

Updated my signature with my test kit -- my pool is not filled yet, but I guess I can test my tap water. I think PB is filling up from a nearby fire hydrant but I assume its the same water quality.

Inspection is today, here are some photos:

D34FEC34-51A6-4F8D-AE6B-45649DC43DF3_zps201wb0no.jpeg

5876E982-2E08-42E0-AB2D-3D0C4DCCA76D_zpsrcocdvax.jpeg

457311B0-C281-4721-89B1-C9E60295223E_zpstbbamtzr.jpeg

Jason, i know you are anticipating jumping in. I cant tell from the photos, but it looks like the pipes are hard fixed into the filter and pump. I would want to put in some unions to be able to disconnect them without cutting pipes. of course you could wait until you need to do that to install unions. jmo. Happy Swimming Soon.

Jason, i know you are anticipating jumping in. I cant tell from the photos, but it looks like the pipes are hard fixed into the filter and pump. I would want to put in some unions to be able to disconnect them without cutting pipes. of course you could wait until you need to do that to install unions. jmo. Happy Swimming Soon.

Good catch! MUCH easier to do it NOW! When you "need" to do it things will be much more stressful!

Filling her up, vacuum phase. PB told me to fill up until it reaches bottom of first step. I guess they come back out to cut holes for light, skimmer, etc. Do I need to let this vacuum fan run all night now that there is at least 6 to 8 inches of water in the pool, or can I shut it off?

25BBD07D-9599-46A2-ABE8-99AE3A125FB4_zpslgvlukwh.jpeg

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looks great Jason! You shouldn’t need the heater too long with the weather we are having around here. You guys will be swimming by the weekend I assume?

Does the inspector require you to have a temp fence now that there is water ?

Yes, actually jumped in tonight, water warming up 1 to 2 degrees per hour. Started at 73.

PB put up orange construction fence until my aluminum fence gets here in about a week and a half.

Need to test water ASAP... added 320 pounds of salt... my salt test strips show correct salt (3200PPM) but my Aquarite system only detecting 1100 ppm so it is not generating chlorine... for the past 2.5 days with water.

May need to buy some liquid chlorine until get SWG recalibrated. Will use my TF kit tonight for first time as well.

Other than liquid chlorine, what other initial chemicals will I need?

You need to add CYA (stabilizer) as that does not come in water. Might want to get some muriatic acid to have on hand for the PH. Liquid chlorine for sure!

SWG=add liquid chlorine to get the FC up to where you want it. After that let the SWG maintain the FC for you. You will always want some liquid chlorine on hand to help out the SWG. Big parties, critter in the pool, etc.

What does your heater say about CH? Some want xx amount. I forget why but there is a reason. See what yours says.

Kim:kim:

I don't trust the test strips at all! I use this link Pool-Salt-PPM-Calculator.html Also give the salt/system time to register as mine didn't settle in for about 6 days. Not sure why but thats my experience...

There are other calculators at the top of the page for the link i just included...

Really enjoyed the pool this weekend!

- used robot for the first time, did great

- learned that my SWG and heat pump like a minimum of 2700 RPM on the pump to register the correct amount of salt and for the minimum pressure on the heat pump. I may need to add an intermatic timer to SWG if I decide to only run it during one of two cycles. Need to see if that is a DIY project

- tf100 kit is awesome! the important numbers are mostly dialed in, hovering around 5 ppm of FC, I’m slowly turning the SWG down to try to get it to 3 or 4 PPM, think I’m around 40% currently. CYA around 70 after 7 pounds of stabilizer. PH was around 8.2 but has dropped to 7.5 after a few days, don’t need to add acid

- some concrete stains on white coping, need to figure out how to clean them off

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.