Vegas home, family wants a pool built yesterday, but...

The backyard is dirt, the pool builders charge $$$, we have never had a pool, and everything takes some time. Gulp. Now, I am going to try this on my own. Help TFP!

I have some landscaping and irrigation experience with small to large residences and modest commercial areas as well as landscape design coursework from college about 15 years ago, so I have some knowledge but nothing fresh and no experience on pools except the occasional use over a few years of my parents pool they acquired after I was an adult. Hey, I found some architectural and engineering rulers in some boxes! After meeting with three pool builders, and mining them for design ideas, we have a decent idea of what we want it to look like. We used marking paint a couple weeks ago to mark out the lines in our backyard. I drew up my own design. Now, I gotta figure out the the how to's, the who does it, and for how much.

Priorities of backyard, in somewhat order of preference:
  1. Kids, kids, kids will be using it. We have a dozen or so (my wife says 5, but I lose track), and they have friends. Also, some parents. Make it pretty as budget and safety permits, although the safety fence will likely destroy our pool view until our kids can all swim the English Channel;
  2. Pool, preferably with 6 feet depth at deepest so bigger kids have to swim sometimes;
  3. Spa, so kids can use a mini pool year round, and so parents can be persuaded to get wet;
  4. Patio, because we have just dirt right now; also much glass from when our home was vacant prior to purchase, I think the windows were used for neighborhood target practice. Possibly Kool Deck type covering for those 115 degree days;
  5. Safety fencing around the pool, because... kids;
  6. Play area that is accessible when the pool is closed for winter; fake grass, possibly padded with a small swing set and/or slide;
  7. Pool lights. But the pool builders quote $1,500 for color changing LEDs. Really? A basic light or two should suffice;
  8. Wet deck, because... little kids, and mom time;
  9. Salt chlorine, because wife says our kids hair fairs better;
  10. BBQ/Grill area so I can feel hip;
  11. Concrete driveway that extends from street to backyard for shed to hold kids bikes, etc and possibly future boat (dreaming, likely), with visibility blocked by plants or use of walls;
  12. Some plants and rocks aka "landscaping" to add a touch of beauty and possible block some views from peering neighbors.

Other considerations:
  • Cleaning system using those sprinkler type heads?
  • Some type of pool pump automation / controller

Hi! welcome,

We here in Australia watch the US based renovation shows and marvel at how much cheaper it is to get stuff done over there - even after the conversion rate.
eg: "You did all that for $100k? Wow that would cost double/triple here in Australia"

Anyway - that aside, I'm guessing you'll have to provide some numbers to give us a ballpark idea of the costs.
What have the 3 pool builders estimated it would cost?
What do you think you could do it all for? How big is the gap between, whats your absolute max budget etc

Is the time taken to complete a major factor? A pool builder might get it all done in a month or 2, depending on the pool surface (fibreglass can be pretty quick), whereas it might drag on for 4+ months if you take it on. (Not to doubt your experience or skills :) but some stuff just takes a long time to line up and complete :)

just pulling a wild number out of the air, but if you did EVERY one of those 12 priorities, I don't think you could do it for under AUD $200k (US$160k) with a builder in Australia. the concrete driveway, patio/deck and landscaping being massive contributors to the cost.

Pete

Oh my gosh... this sounds like a fun one! I'm in!

1) So you want shallow and deep- great!! Everyone can float in the deep end on a raft or noodle... I love deep ends. Do you want it dive-able?
2)Amen to that! I'd go deeper if I could myself so that I could dive. 6' is too shallow for diving and I keep having to remind folks "no diving!" <sigh>
3) My grandkids loved the stand alone hot tub for a "mini-pool" in the summer, and every one enjoyed that hot water in the cold weather. The jets are far better in a stand alone tub, by the way. Water is hotter too if that matters? I'm all about stand alone tubs rather than spas, as you can tell. I don't see the attraction in spas myself.
4) Kooldek sounds good...but they do eventually chip and fade and need re-doing. In your hot neck of the country perhaps travertine ($) is cooler? Easier to deal with if you ever have a plumbing problem that needs to be uncovered though, I believe.
5) there are attractive fences....and autocovers too. Have you considered one of them?
6) Play area sounds great. Fake grass is...um... more common in your area I take it? I've never seen a home with it myself, but it sounds good for a lot of reasons.
7) I hear ya on those colored lights. OUCH! It seems like highway robbery to me. Others love 'em. I have them but we don't use them much as our pool isn't so close to the house that we would see the lights to admire the pool at night.
8) Wet deck sounds like fun! Or perhaps a beach entry into the pool with bubblers...? Lighted bubblers?!
9) Absolutely! SWG all the way!
10) You're already hip in my eyes.... all those kids and all! I am impressed! oh, for cooking? Go win at the tables and get a Big GReen Egg.. folks love 'em!
11) Absolutely do it at the same time as the pool so cost should be lower than making it a separate project.
12) Plants! Rocks, eh? Not *my* thing but hey... you live where they need fake grass too so, go for it! You have the landscaping know how to make it nice :)

Other considerations: Get a robot cleaner! A cleaning system can break down in ways that make for difficult repairs. A robot you just pull out and get fixed. Cheaper to run too as you don't need a second pump or a lot of electricity to run them.

My two cents for what its worth-

Maddie :flower:

I'll throw in a couple of ideas.

Depth, if you're going more than about 4.5 ft deep, then you need to consider the length so the slope between deep and shallow wont be too steep. The rule of thumb for the slope, is 3 feet of length for ever foot of depth beyond 4.5 Amd even at that, you're gonna notice that slope when you stand on it.

If 6 feet, the pool should be 30 ft long. If 8 ft, the pool needs to be minimum 32 feet long but preferably longer. This is also for safety rule of thumb so divers dont hit their heads on the slope. If you're thinking diving board, you will need to consult your insurance company. Many will drop you immediately. Same goes with a pool of any sort. I had to change mine to Farmers. They just didnt seem to care about anything other than I did not have a diving board and that the pool was fenced.

Automation - how much do you want? Remote controllers and all of that. I have no experience. But if you just want it for turning pump and lights etc on and off, the better and lest costly solution is a Variable Speed pump (programmable run times and speeds), and a simple Timer for the lights or whatever other feature you might like. As a note. You will want a Variable speed pump regardless of if you get automation or not. Wayyy less expensive electric to operate it vs a single speed pump. Another option worth investigating would be a 2 speed pump. Less $ than the Variable speed one, but a lot less nice features, and IMO, teh VS is worth the extra up front cost.

Cleaner - skip the in floor one. It will end up sooner or later being a big headache. Get a robot cleaner.

Color changing lights. Im calling the pool industry out on this. Unless you want synchronization of multiple ones, and all sorts of over the top stuff, just install a Color Changing LED light bulb in a regular pool light fixture. The LED bulbs have come a long way baby. I have one and its fine. These LED bulbs have built in color changing abilities and programs ranging from single color and steady to strobe effects like in the old discotec days. You can save yourself 1000$ over the full fledged LED system the PBs quote.

Thanks for all of your ideas and suggestions. I will try to have my first drawing to scale soon that I can upload. Should I continue this post under the construction part of the forum?

Kim's note-I went ahead and moved it as there were already so many details in this thread!

LOVE your writing style! This will be a fun one to watch and help on!

LOL on the kids 5=dozen! It does seem like that at times! Please tell us the ages of the ones that sleep most nights at your house.

Go ahead and take a pic of where this pool is going so we can see what you are working with.

Kim:kim:

I am very interested in getting more information on contractors so I can start figure out total estimated costs. I had a follow up meeting with a pool builder yesterday who quoted about $64k to do most of what I wanted (things I am willing to wait on include the BBQ/grill, gas fireplace, patio cover, and non-hardscape features such as the plants, rock mulch and related irrigation). If I cannot beat that by around $10k through finding my own contractors, I think it would be better to use the builder to save myself some time and worry.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just know that even if you use a PB you will STILL need to be on hand and ready to make sure things are right.

Make sure to call T. He is a awesome fella and has a great list of subs to work from.

Looking at your design...........what is the bump in by the bench away from the spa?

Kim:kim:

I updated the design a bit by removing the bump on the south east side and added a different one on the North middle, possibly to add a water feature. I tried to attach a link to the drawing.

Do I need to get the professional design and engineering completed before I get bids from contractors or can I rely upon my design for now? The reason I am wondering this is that I would like to minimize costs until I determine the cost savings of not using a pool builder.

linkhttps://drive.google.com/file/d/1cjYz67OXWWBAzDIZbPToK-p4czuCmNNQ/view?usp=drivesdk

I updated the design a bit by removing the bump on the south east side and added a different one on the North middle, possibly to add a water feature. I tried to attach a link to the drawing.

Do I need to get the professional design and engineering completed before I get bids from contractors or can I rely upon my design for now? The reason I am wondering this is that I would like to minimize costs until I determine the cost savings of not using a pool builder.

linkhttps://drive.google.com/file/d/1cjYz67OXWWBAzDIZbPToK-p4czuCmNNQ/view?usp=drivesdk

I think you have enough information on your sketch to get good quotes. Subs have been very easy to deal with in Las Vegas. A bid from one sub will turn into four bids on different parts of the project.

Congrats on starting your pool. Several of us in the Las Vegas area have completed pools in the last couple of years and we’re all willing to help out. I will send you a PM with my phone number.

Ditto. If you're thinking about OB send me a PM, I've helped over 30 OBers since I did my build coming-up on 4 years ago. Learned A LOT since, then. Wish I had my today knowledge back then! You're more than welcome to come check my build out and pick my brain.

EDIT: Just caught your drawing. I know a couple of OB who have done very similar designs who could probably give you an idea of what OB route cost them.

I live in Henderson in Black Mtn Ranch and I'm in the process of building my pool. You can come over and take a look before I shoot concrete. i can give you some visual pointers on what I did wrong and I can give you some names of subs I have used and that I like allot. You will soon find out that you will be on Sub overload....:)

1. If you like your sketch then contact a Structural guy to get him to design your rebar needs. I used a guy and I was in and out of City of Henderson in under an hour. With that said, I did have an actual design from MyPoolPlans.com
I do know that when I contacted rebar guys all of them asked me who did the design, some structural guys are overkill and make the rebar guys use allot more than needed. So they will charge you more. Just an FYI...
2. You will need to get in this order, Excavation, Plumbing, and Electrical then you call City of Henderson for your first inspection.
3. Once you pass your first inspection you're ready for Concrete. To be honest there is no need to get any quotes from Concrete prior to your inspection. They will send you a price and then come out after rebar is in to check how well the excavator did and if any additional concrete is needed. At that point they will give you the real number.
4. After the concrete is in then you get tile, decking and fence/gate up and alarms on the house and order your second inspection, called "pre-plaster." Once you pass then you get plaster and fill pool!
5. Most Subs will give you a cash discount price. You just have to ask....

Here is a link to the pool handout for City of Henderson. I would suggest that you sign up for the City of Henderson site so you can schedule inspections online. You might not be able to do it until your plans approved.

Just PM me and I'll help the best I can.

Pat.

Chopjaw kinda nailed it in one simple post. I was scared of $$$ surprises so I bid every piece of the job before getting permits.
It looks like your pool lights will be shining into the house. Consider moving all of your lights to the house side of the pool. Aiming away from the house. (I'm still very much an amateur but have learned a bunch from TFP)
Get all of the electric, plumbing and gas lines run now. You will save a ton of money by avoiding added plumbing runs after the pool is complete.

My start looking for an excavator is not going great. I called some recommendations and used Google maps, but I only found one that seems to acknowledge that they even do residential pools. The rest are out of business or do not do pools. In the end I probably called ten companies. I sent my drawing to the excavator two days ago but have not received a quote yet.

20180216_161631_HDR by Ethan Featherstone, on Flickr
From front sidewalk looking at access point through 12' wide sideyard and gate (gate and it's connecting wall will be removed and only a gate will replace it at a position that is closer to the sidewalk to capture more sideyard) I want the side yard to become a concrete driveway.
20180216_161649 by Ethan Featherstone, on Flickr
From inside the side yard at the gate looking at the backyard. This is about where I want a practical (not necessarily pretty) shed and storage.
20180216_161706_HDR by Ethan Featherstone, on Flickr
First view of the backyard as it opens up from the sideyard. The spa, some of the patio and most of the pool are visible at this point. This is right about where I want to put a wall to block visibility from the street and separate views of the side yard from the spa area.
20180216_161714_HDR by Ethan Featherstone, on Flickr
Full view of backyard looking east.
20180216_161757_HDR by Ethan Featherstone, on Flickr
Backyard looking mostly west, and at about where the pool equipment will go
20180216_161906_HDR by Ethan Featherstone, on Flickr
Backyard looking west. See my awesome existing patio? It's hiding between the trash bins.

Purely out of curiosity, is there a functional reason for the cement block fences that I see in dessert climates? It is the only place where I see those and seems everyone has one.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.