What the heck is this thing on my pump????

Oct 27, 2017
Austin, TX
Hey,

There is a tube coming out of my Jandy Stealth pump which looks like it is where the drain plug should be and the tube is dripping water out of the other end.

Does anyone know what this is and why it is there? I can find it on any diagrams of the pump online.

Thanks so much???

Ya probably for a tab feeder or something.

I did the same when I removed my tab feeder, just turned a screw about 1/2 an inch with some
liquid nails glue inside and a small hose clamp to keep it water tight.

I've seen some type of small liquid chlorine dispenser that hooks into the drain plug of the pump basket. It was a small (maybe 3"x3"x1") clear plastic device that just used the vacuum side of the plumbing to drawn in liquid chlorine. there was also a small knob on it to adjust flow, maybe it had a one-way valve as well, I'm not sure, I didn't buy it and got a Rola-chem instead. For the life of me I can't remember the name of the device and can't find anything like it with google.

Maybe a previous owner removed the drain plug to hook up something like that, then lost the drain plug and later decided to do something else so just plugged the tube with a bolt.

- - - Updated - - -

The other end of the tube connects to the pump, what is a tab feeders purpose

A tab feeders purpose to feed chlorine into the pool via 3" TriChlor pucks. You won't ever want to use one anyway, so if it was going to a tab feeder be glad it's gone.

Demegrad I think your talking about a stenner pump. (for liquid chlorine injection)

Definitely not a stenner pump. Stenner pumps are peristaltic pump which create positive pressure to force chlorine into the pressure side of the system. This thing I saw at a local pool store (where I later bought the Rola-Chem pump from) was much smaller and simpler but it works solely on pressure differences, thus the chlorine injection line must be installed on the vacuum side of the water pump to suck in the chlorine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There's some old threads on this Pool Pal thing. Yes, it's certainly simple and relatively cost effective but there's a few concerns 1) as to whether you'd be able to get enough fine tuning of chlorine, 2) corrosion of the internal stainless steel plate (which they might have changed to a different material), 3) maybe it's not the greatest thing to be injecting chlorine then have that high concentration water go through your whole system. It's usually recommended to inject chemical at the last point in the system.

quote by Demegrad: "It's usually recommended to inject chemical at the last point in the system."

Absolutely. When anything that is concentrated or builds concentration while the pump is idle, when the pump first starts and sends almost any vol of hypochlorous acid in concentration, it can really wreak havoc on metals. Plus, if it leaks while not being stored, it can really cause problems...that's why it's on the down end of the return line back to the pool to go into the return jets...

wow and in the old setup i got when I bought my house 2 years ago, there was no check valve to
prevent the tab feeder seeping concentrated dissolved tabs back into the heater.

Glad I removed it / don't use.

Heater was replaced last year so it never got exposed like the previous one had.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.