Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Winterize Pool Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Winterize Pool Question

I have an 23k gallon salt water in ground gunite pool. I also, live in Charlotte, NC where we may get a few days of freezing temperatures during the winter. It snows once or twice a year.

To winterize, I drain all of the water out of my pool pump, filter and heat pump. I backwash most of the water out to the skimmer line and then put my cover on it.

I've done it this way for over 10 years with no problems. Am I doing something wrong or is this perfectly fine?
    In ground 20,000 gallon, gunite, salt water pool with a heat pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Winterize Pool Question

10 years with no problems - sounds like you've got a handle on things. As long as you aren't seeing damage to plumbing or equipment, and the water doesn't become a complete swamp while closed, you appear to be on the right track. There are a few things owners who close do slightly differently based on their pool set-up and the severity of anticipated freezes where they live. Below are the TFP references if you haven't already seem them which might give you a couple additional pieces of advice should you chose to use it. You can also use the search function above to see many closing threads with various experiences shared that you might find interesting.

Closing an in-ground pool: Pool School - Closing an In Ground Pool
    Closing (winterizing) your above ground pool: Pool School - Closing (Winterizing) Your Above Ground Pool
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by uscrugbyno1 View Post
    I have an 23k gallon salt water in ground gunite pool. I also, live in Charlotte, NC where we may get a few days of freezing temperatures during the winter. It snows once or twice a year.

To winterize, I drain all of the water out of my pool pump, filter and heat pump. I backwash most of the water out to the skimmer line and then put my cover on it.

I've done it this way for over 10 years with no problems. Am I doing something wrong or is this perfectly fine?
    Hi neighbor! I'm about an hour west of Charlotte (near Hickory) with an in-ground vinyl pool and I also fully close. It is a pain every fall, but I don't want to keep up with the cleaning in the cold weather. I know plenty of people who don't close and just run the pump when it gets cold, but I don't want to take the chance of a power outage. We've had ice storms and have been without power for several days before. The warm weather on some days makes me nervous but I always open as soon as possible. If the current warmer weather trend continues I'll be opening in about 2 weeks...I don't like leaving the cover on once the water temp starts to go up.

~ 18.5' x 36.5' inground Grecian pool with vinyl liner
    ~ approximately 23,000 gallons
    ~ AquaRite Salt Water Generator cell size t-9
    ~ 1.5 HP Hayward Pump and Hayward Sand Filter
    ~ TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by appstategrad View Post
    Hi neighbor! I'm about an hour west of Charlotte (near Hickory) with an in-ground vinyl pool and I also fully close. It is a pain every fall, but I don't want to keep up with the cleaning in the cold weather. I know plenty of people who don't close and just run the pump when it gets cold, but I don't want to take the chance of a power outage. We've had ice storms and have been without power for several days before. The warm weather on some days makes me nervous but I always open as soon as possible. If the current warmer weather trend continues I'll be opening in about 2 weeks...I don't like leaving the cover on once the water temp starts to go up.
    I'll wait till after March to open mine. No reason to open if I can't start to heat her up and get in!
    In ground 20,000 gallon, gunite, salt water pool with a heat pump.