BBB and the TF Kit Testament

Tengage

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 30, 2009
Frisco, TX
Just a quick story about the BBB method and the TF test kit. I've been using the the TF test kit and doing the BBB (and muriatic acid) method since the pool company finished our pool school in May. I went a bit overboard in the beginning and was doing all of the tests every couple of days. When I was pretty sure I was doing it right and was getting consistant (good) numbers I backed off and used the daily chlorine test and got it down to a good routine of adding bleach daily and not much of anything else. I finally got around to bringing my water to the Leslies to have them check it out. I was sure they were going to give me some sort of hard time.

The lady got done, handed me my sheet, and said "go enjoy your pool". The manager standing next to her shot her a quick glance and the customer in line behind me said "what do you mean???? He gets to leave and not buy anything???". I found the guy later in the store and told him about the site. We'll probably see him around soon.

Thanks for all you guys do!

Please disregard the date (and the dead plant in the planter) :roll:
020.jpg

022.jpg

Good story. Ain't it amazing what a pleasure maintaining your pool can be? :mrgreen:

I was in our pool store the other day and the little while I was there two different people came in and left with $60 and $100+ worth of "shock" & stuff. I had a big grin on my face when the counter guy said "that'll be $6.00" for the jug of chlorine I took out with me.

Being a computer professional, I have long ago learned to resist the urge to correct sales people in the computer section of stores. Most of the time, thier advice is wrong... or at best, slightly incorrect.

Now, I walk into a pool store, and I hear the pool sales person saying something like "You need to put this bag of shock.." blah blah blah... I now have to resist the urge to walk over and ask "is that dichlor, or cal hypo.. what's the CYA? Is that for a vinyl pool?" Not to mention stating that shock is a process, not a product...

Owe it all to TFP and all of the excellent advice...

Dan

Butterfly said:
Congrats Tengage, ....good story :goodjob:

Your pool and yard are beautiful. Perfect size back yard (imho) and, I didn't see any grass anywhere :mrgreen:

Thanks, we're so happy with the yard now. I failed at completely getting rid of the grass, although I can cut it with scissors and clean up with a shopvac. I'm trying to find something to grow between the flagstones but I failed at irish moss as well.

002.jpg

Tengage said:
Thanks, we're so happy with the yard now. I failed at completely getting rid of the grass, although I can cut it with scissors and clean up with a shopvac. I'm trying to find something to grow between the flagstones but I failed at irish moss as well.

You might try Giant liriope, grows about 2' tall and wide from 1 gallon size, $6. Also regular liriope about 8" tall or Dwarf Liriope at 2". Dwarf will grow nicely between flagstones if you dig out the gravel and add soil. Won't stop seed-generated weeds totally but will crowd out most stuff. These are good for sun or shade.

In a hot spot, more sunny, you can get any of the creeping thymes, there are some that are vareigated others just green. Find it at a "better" nursery and cut the 4" pot into 4 quarters and spread it around that way. Again, you need to have dirt for it, not decomposed granite or rock.

If it is more shady and tends to be wet look at Maidenhair Fern. It can take sun if it gets enough water, and it loves woody humus plus rocks. You've see this growing out of rocks around natural springs in Texas so that limestone soil is not an issue, nor is some sun, as long as there is water.

OTOH, whatever is on the other side of that fence will want to come over to the sunny side, so you may have to fight with that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.