Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is this story crazy or am I?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is this story crazy or am I?

I was outside last night and I heard a motor running. It sounded like my neighbor's pool pump. Keep in mind, I'm in northern Kentucky and we've had some really cold temps this winter, especially compared to the last few winters. I decided to get closer and sure enough, it was his pump on his above ground pool. He's also my brother-in-law so I sent him a text and told him. He sent me a response and said that he decided not to shut it off over the winter to see if it would keep it from turning green. I have no idea if he has used any kind of sanitizer, but I our temps won't allow algae growth right now. He should know that water flow doesn't keep water clear because his pool turns green multiple times a year. For the record, he thinks my method of pool care is crazy and he gets tired of hearing about it. I just can't imagine wasting that much electricity on a pool pump in NKY during the winter.

Any thoughts?
    SCon36

24,000 Gallon IG vinyl pool (16x36x8) with Hayward S200 sand filter and Hayward pump and heat pump. Built August 2011. I use a Taylor K-2005 test kit with a K-1515 add on.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIgL...0MyAw&index=29

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is this story crazy or am I?

Let him waste his money and be frustrated with a cloudy, nasty pool. Then, when he hits another algae, politely invite his wife and kids over for a swim. After his wife sees how wonderful your pool is, there will be no end of nagging him to fix their pool.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

Save your sister!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Haja! What Matt (JoyfulNoise) said.

Agreed that is a total waste of electricity.
    I don't even run my pump from late Oct-Feb when the water is well under 50 degrees.
    Just a few short times to drain off rain fill.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

5. Back To Top    #5

Since I already have this thread going, I have a question. We have some warm days this week and I noticed my pool has more leaves in it than it normally does this time of the year. Should I pull the cover back a little and scoop them out or leave them until the first week of April when I usually start getting my pool ready?
    SCon36

24,000 Gallon IG vinyl pool (16x36x8) with Hayward S200 sand filter and Hayward pump and heat pump. Built August 2011. I use a Taylor K-2005 test kit with a K-1515 add on.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIgL...0MyAw&index=29

6. Back To Top    #6

Probably ok, but I'd clean them out.

Last week I noticed some very tiny acorn looking (not an acorn) things on the floor
    in the shallow end and another near the deep and they were both eminating some green
    stuff from them. I was concerned they might create an organic stain so threw
    the robot in to clean. (there were a bunch of pine needlese everywhere too).
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by borjis View Post
    Probably ok, but I'd clean them out.

Last week I noticed some very tiny acorn looking (not an acorn) things on the floor
    in the shallow end and another near the deep and they were both eminating some green
    stuff from them. I was concerned they might create an organic stain so threw
    the robot in to clean. (there were a bunch of pine needlese everywhere too).
    You're gonna keep thinking about it until you do so you might as well!

16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
    Save your sister!
    Best laugh this morning and so true!
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners