Help me decide on a pool finish color :)

Hi Neighbor! What part of Jax are you in? We are in Bartram Springs. I can't see any pictures of your pool from your link? I may be navigating wrong.

I know where Bartram Springs is. We are located on the North side of Dunn Ave and Duval road. Yes I believe that the link works when you are on a computer or logged into the TFP website. Did you decide on a pool finish?

- - - Updated - - -

Bugs? Ha. Well, it's very tempting to go back over to the pool-temp thread and tease all those temp-braggin' Floridians about their bugs, but with my luck I'd just karma myself into some sort of locust infestation or something! Better leave well enough alone!!
Yep I agree hee hee :party:

The heater I will have to ask my husband... we def wont use it more than a few weeks out of the year. Almost doesn't seem worth it. As far as a color goes, I am more of a medium to dark blue. I like that look for the pool, but on the sunshelf I was thinking more of a tan to give it a beach look? Not sure if I can mix or what not. Let me see a picture of your pool! We do have a showroom, I just need to go and look, they are only open during the hours I work so I have to take time off...wonk wonk. lol

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

No I still haven't picked out a finish :-( ..... the only place I know to go look is at SGL? I think... they are a pool builder distribution center. They are only open mon-fri tho. I hate having to take off of work to do things like that! lol

I did a lite gray finish and wish I had done white. I missed the blue water and with a lite gray bottom it never looked the same.
Now I am having to repalce it ( 8 years later ) and trying to look at different styles that might hold up better.

Uhg. Garden and surrounding areas don't look too good in winter! This shot shows some of what I was talking about before, though. See how the trees pull the water color green? And how the little end is a different color than the deep end. And how much different the color looks from shadow to light? You can't really see the top step, but it's almost grey.

winter pool.jpg

I don't see why you couldn't have two different colors in your pool. With some sort of tile strip, why couldn't they pour two different mixes on each side. They'd have to charge you more, I'm sure, because they'd had to clean and reset a bunch of equipment twice instead of once. But there may be some other reason, because I don't think I've ever seen a picture of a pool with two different colors of finish. They'd have to pour one, finish trowel it, then mask it to avoid splatter from the other side. It would definitely be tough. There might be a timing issue, where they have to shoot it all at once, then finish it all at once. I love the idea, though.

- - - Updated - - -

Wait, scratch that. I just remembered. My plaster guy had a pool in his showroom that had, like, eight different finishes in the same pool. Yep, it's definitely possible.

I love the color of your pool!

- - - Updated - - -

you have such a beautiful back yard set up!
Uhg. Garden and surrounding areas don't look too good in winter! This shot shows some of what I was talking about before, though. See how the trees pull the water color green? And how the little end is a different color than the deep end. And how much different the color looks from shadow to light? You can't really see the top step, but it's almost grey.

View attachment 72977

I don't see why you couldn't have two different colors in your pool. With some sort of tile strip, why couldn't they pour two different mixes on each side. They'd have to charge you more, I'm sure, because they'd had to clean and reset a bunch of equipment twice instead of once. But there may be some other reason, because I don't think I've ever seen a picture of a pool with two different colors of finish. They'd have to pour one, finish trowel it, then mask it to avoid splatter from the other side. It would definitely be tough. There might be a timing issue, where they have to shoot it all at once, then finish it all at once. I love the idea, though.

- - - Updated - - -

Wait, scratch that. I just remembered. My plaster guy had a pool in his showroom that had, like, eight different finishes in the same pool. Yep, it's definitely possible.

Thank you. In spring/summer, the oak trees and fruit trees and potted plants and grape vines all fill in and all the neighbor houses disappear. It's very nice, and mostly secluded... In the evening the pool gets dark and dramatic, even with the pool light on, and it looks great. My IntelliBrite allows me a handful of colors, so that's fun. Who ever designed my yard and pool did a great job, I think. The shape and colors and coping choices all fit my taste. I lucked out. I'm not sure I'd do it much differently had I to do it over again. (And I kinda did, in that I just replaced my plaster with pebble, but just matched the previous color.) Except for the coping. The coping was a mistake. That particular type of stone flakes and becomes sandy and shouldn't really be used around a pool. But I love the look (and how they tinted the concrete deck to match). I treated the coping with a special chemical that stops the sandy problem, but it'll still come apart in time. I'll enjoy it while it lasts...

That lone 4x4 pole in the back there, along with two other attachment points, support a small, triangular shade sail I fly over the pool in summer. It gives me a little area in the water to hide from the sun. The other two attachment points are well disguised. I'm looking into what plant or vine I can plant around that 4x4 that will make it disappear, too. I like the choice of the black fence. The oaks give me the privacy, the fence lets me look at the oaks, and visually extends my yard. Otherwise, it'd feel like a little, enclosed space. I put in garden lights, some that shine down on the plants, others that shine up into the trees. So I can enjoy all that at night, too, even from inside, when it transforms into something entirely different.

Just to the left is the rest of the 30 acres of oak trees that the city promises will always remain. The forest and the trees just behind the pool is the view from the master. The guy that sold me the house moved around the corner. His new house has a tiny yard with a back fence with somebody else's house right behind that. But he can see the city lights from his top floor, which is what he wanted more than an oak forest. I thank him everyday for my house and pool and view. To each their own, I say...

So, yah, I don't have a year-round swim season, but still get to enjoy my pool 24/365.

No I still haven't picked out a finish :-( ..... the only place I know to go look is at SGL? I think... they are a pool builder distribution center. They are only open mon-fri tho. I hate having to take off of work to do things like that! lol

I mentioned before there's more than one way to figure out your color(s). If my "make a list of adjectives" idea didn't do it for you, how 'bout this:

I was just talking to my buddy on the phone about his upcoming trip to Bali. I googled "Bali" so I could see where he was going. Some images popped up that made me think of you and your pool colors. Here's one that jumped out at me (because its what I want my pool's color to look like, not quite blue, not quite green, not too light, not too dark):

bali.jpg

So instead of just looking at pools and pictures of pools, try other inspirations. Find some picture of something or somewhere that makes you feel something, something that maybe you want to feel when you go out to your pool, and start with that. Let it inspire your design and color choices, even to the point where you take it to a PB or plaster guy and declare "Make my water/plaster/pool/yard look just like this!"

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Oh my! Those are gorgeous!! I wanted a beach entry so bad but my husband said it takes up too much room! So I comprised with a sun shelf. Thank you for all of the inspiration! Thankfully I still have some time... they still haven't started my dig... getting really impatient. 'they say' end of this week, beginning of next week... following week at the latest! utility folks coming out tomorrow or Wednesday to mark the yard.

Our pool builder quoted us $450 extra to shoot the sun shelf in a different color pebblesheen. We wanted to have Desert Gold on the shelf to give it a beach look. Ultimately we decided not to do it because we couldn't visualize the color change where the shelf ended and the top step of the pool started... in our case, the top step is the same level and connected to the sun shelf. (we talked about and decided we didn't want to add a jewelry band to separate) This ultimately drove our choice to White Diamond Pebblesheen with cobalt blue glass beads...we felt it gave the best color for both shallow shelf and deep ends. We love the water color - especially right after cleaning the leaves out. A beautiful light blue. At night, with the colorlogic LED lights, we can create a beautiful glow in just about any color.

As I pointed out before, there is quite a bit of difference in color between my top step and my deep end. Deep end is much bluer. (It's a physics thing.) I wonder if this phenomenon could be used to your advantage, Paige. You pick a color that gives you your beachie feel for the shelf, a few inches down (whatever depth), and then let the physics turn it blue for the deep end. Though I doubt you'd get a deep color down there that way.

You could do some sort of separator at the end of the shelf, tile or stone or something, to delineate. That doesn't have to be boring ol' square tiles. My edge tile and step markers look like river rock.

In the pic's on the website link I gave you, I could swear that some of the transitions, from beach entry to pool, look to be fades. Like the color blends from one to the other. I don't know if that's just the photo, or the water doing that, or if it was actually installed that way (though I can't imagine how you'd create a pebble fade from one color to the next, that would be quite a skill).

Sorry you lost the beach entry. They look so amazing. Though I can't fault your hubbies' opinion, they do slice into the swim area. Personally, I lay out on the deck and swim in the pool. I don't get the appeal of laying in a foot of water, or on a lounge in a foot of water. I like all my goodies near me (drink, book, phone, snack, etc) and my kids would be playing and trashing/splashing me and all that. But that's just me. Shelfs and entries are very popular, so I must be in the minority in that regard.

Don't forget about the cleaning issues associated with shelfs and entries, as you make your decisions.

Keep us updated!

I just went through this with the same frustration. Finally found someone knowledgeable. Mini Pebble midnight blue http://www.nptpool.com/finishes/stonescapes/mini-pebbles/midnight-blue-mini/gallery

NPT Bellagio waterline tile, which true to pool building is no longer is on their website. https://www.poolsupplyunlimited.com/national-pool-tile-bel-6blend-bellagio-6x6-pool-tile/65625p1 I just got ours two months ago.

ivory travertine deck from travertine mart online.

Ugh, I feel your pain. Midnight blue is amazing. Just do the one color and get somebody good to do it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.