Pump not automatically self priming

Feb 14, 2018
Denton, TX
Hello all! I am new here...this is my first post.
I have an in-ground pool. Recently, I had the impeller replaced because the pump quit working. At that time, the repairman notified me that I needed a different company to come and clear the lines because he could tell that I had a clog. I had another company come out. They used Co2 to clear the lines. I repeatedly asked them to verify that they cleared both directions. When they left, the pool was running fine. The next day when the timer shut off, HUGE air & water bubbles EXPLODED out of the two skimmer baskets next to the pool. That evening when the pool timer was set to come on, it would not prime. I called the pool company back they come out the next morning, got it primed and running fine. Following that, we actually had the pool running non-stop for a few days since it was hovering at or below freezing. Now that it has gone back above freezing and the pump shut off, same thing! Skimmer baskets blew up on both sides and pool pump won't prime on it's own. Any advise or ideas?

In-Ground 14K gal Pool/Spa
Pentair Triton II Commercial Sand Filter (Over Sized) Sand 2 YO
AO Smith Centurion Switchless Motor
Challenger 2 1/2 HP Self Priming Pump
Raypak Heater

Attachments

• IMG_7408.jpg
    IMG_7408.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_7411.jpg
    IMG_7411.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 27
Welcome to TFP!

Your problem is an air leak someplace in the system. Air builds up in the filter and is compressed by the pump. When the pump shuts off. the air expands and pushes water out of the lines. The air leak also causes difficulty priming the pump.

Though it could be something serious, check the easy stuff first. The pump strainer lid and drain both have O-rings. Check that the O-rings are in good shape, that they are lubed with pool lube and that the lid and drain plug are tight.

A good troubleshooting trick is to look for places that spit a little water right as the pump shuts off. These are likely leak points.

Finally, check out Pool School - Suction Side Air Leaks The leak is between the impeller of your pump and your pool. It's not a filter issue.

Thanks John!
I will go out and go over everything. I did notice that the 2nd company seems to have put plumbers tape around many of my fittings. Maybe something just didn't get put back together just right. We switched to Magic Lube on a friends recommendation last year and have had good success with that on our gaskets and seals so far. I'll watch what you suggested and go give everything a good coating. I'm glad to have found this group. Pool owner ship is fun ...until it's not! ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.