pool tilted over time - waterline tile level is tilted

norcalpool1

Silver Supporter
Sep 16, 2017
Silicon Valley,CA
My pool's waterline tile shows there is a tilt in the pool (may be about 1/2 inch) between two ends of the long axis. When replacing the tile as part of replastering/remodeling work, how is the new tile laid so that its plane is parallel with the water level? Should I not be worried about this too much? (The tiles are all 6" high)

My pool's waterline tile shows there is a tilt in the pool (may be about 1/2 inch) between two ends of the long axis. When replacing the tile as part of replastering/remodeling work, how is the new tile laid so that its plane is parallel with the water level? Should I not be worried about this too much? (The tiles are all 6" high)
The tile should be level on the horizontal plane, and square vertically to that. Water will naturally seek level, that is why there is a bubble in a liquid inside construction levels.

When I was a tile mechanic (many moons ago) the first thing I would do for wainscoting is run a horizontal guideline all the way around the room using a 36" or 48" level. Once I did that I would 'split each wall' with a vertical guideline using the same level. The entire run would follow those guidelines.

I guess that in the current decade it would be easier to rent a good laser level to throw a ring around the room (or pool).

Finding the pool tilted is interesting.... Is this a new to you pool? Do you know if the pool ever sat completely emptied for an extended period?

Thanks. I will make sure I talk to the pool remodeler about this and also show the difference as seen in the attached pictures. The pool was tiled in the late 70's.

[Just to illustrate the tilt, I have attached two pictures. There are two red lines in each picture. In one picture, the floating plastic is closer to the upper line and in the other, the floating plastic plate is at the lower line.] -- EDIT: The pics are not in yet, I exceeded my quota... Still have to figure out how to upload the pics.

Last edited:
I had the same problem, though much worse - 2-3” difference. Pool was built in 1969 and house vacant for years - suspect pool was left empty too long at some point. When I had the coping and tile replaced, they installed tile level and built-up low side to level deck and coping.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.