Suction side plumbing leak repair help

Shane1

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 29, 2010
Buckeye, AZ 85326
Hello all - We will be selling out home soon so I'm closing up loose ends and making things right for the inspection and new owners. I had a suction side leak that I "fixed" using a can of that flexiseal stuff. It worked like a champ but its doesn't look good and needs to be fixed correctly. I have attached a pic in hopes that you all will give me suggestions on how to re-plumb this area. The arrows point to where the leak is which is at the 90* elbow. Its an older pic and doesn't show the flexiseal residue which made quite a mess.
My thoughts are as follows: cut the PVC a couple inches above the grade, unscrew the union at the pump and remove the entire section. Using all new parts build the entire assembly again fitting it all together on a bench then adding a coupler on each side, gently slide it all back together and reattach the union to the pump. Sounds easy enough....LOL.
Please let me know your thoughts
Thanks

Attachments

• Inkedalmost done 009_LI.jpg
    Inkedalmost done 009_LI.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 18
You pretty-much nailed it. If you had more room or time, we might suggest as an alternative also using some unions which help with section removal/repairs later as opposed to cutting & reattaching glued PVC, but you may not have the room to do that. But you have the idea. Simply removing that bad PVC area and replacing with new is the way to go.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.