Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Suction side plumbing leak repair help

1. Back To Top    #1

Suction side plumbing leak repair help

Hello all - We will be selling out home soon so I'm closing up loose ends and making things right for the inspection and new owners. I had a suction side leak that I "fixed" using a can of that flexiseal stuff. It worked like a champ but its doesn't look good and needs to be fixed correctly. I have attached a pic in hopes that you all will give me suggestions on how to re-plumb this area. The arrows point to where the leak is which is at the 90* elbow. Its an older pic and doesn't show the flexiseal residue which made quite a mess.
    My thoughts are as follows: cut the PVC a couple inches above the grade, unscrew the union at the pump and remove the entire section. Using all new parts build the entire assembly again fitting it all together on a bench then adding a coupler on each side, gently slide it all back together and reattach the union to the pump. Sounds easy enough....LOL.
    Please let me know your thoughts
    Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    11,872 Gallon IG Shotcrete play pool
    Blue Granite Pebble Sheen finish
    Hayward SwimClear c4025, Navigator & Tristar 1.75hp pump
    2' Powerfall

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Suction side plumbing leak repair help

You pretty-much nailed it. If you had more room or time, we might suggest as an alternative also using some unions which help with section removal/repairs later as opposed to cutting & reattaching glued PVC, but you may not have the room to do that. But you have the idea. Simply removing that bad PVC area and replacing with new is the way to go.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!