Hoping this is not algae again!

skydiva44

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 18, 2009
Houston, Texas
I just noticed some "dirt" at the bottom and I am hoping that is all it is, a little paranoid about getting algae again. I will do the overnight test tonight, but until then here are my numbers.

cc=5
fc=5
ph=7.8
ta=140
cya=60
fas-dpd- 14.5

Is doing the overnight test the only way to decipher if it is dirt or algae? It really does look just like dirt, not green or anything....just wishful thinking!

ok...with the test kit I have you can test (yellow reagent bottles)the fc and tc, each one was 5 or above since that is as high as the reader goes, so then you subtract 5-5=TC 0, is that not right? That is how I have been doing it..

FAS-DPD - 29 x .5=14.5 Please don't tell me I have been doing that wrong too! Just when I thought I had it all figured out! lol

Just a thought.
FAS-DPD - 29 x .5=14.5 Please don't tell me I have been doing that wrong too! Just when I thought I had it all figured out! lol

Are you using the 10ml fill or the 25ml fill? If your using the 25ml fill you multiply the drops by .2 so that would make the result (29*.2=5.8) closer to your other test.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your FC level is very high, either on purpose? or simply because you are probably running the SWG too much....refer to the CYA chart for SWG to see what your levels should be. You can probably run your SWG a lot less than you are, what is your run time? Your pump can operate without the SWG on, can it not?

The yellow OTO test, is just a good daily "quick" check to see if chlorine is present. Since it only goes up to 5 and checks Total Chlorine, it's not very useful other than to see if chlorine is present.

For more specific results, just rely on the FAS-DPD test.

I doubt, if your FC has been maintained this high for the last several weeks that what you are seeing is algae. If you want to do an overnight test to be sure, that's fine.

Then I would leave the SWG off tomorrow to let the FC drop down to your normal range. You'll need to experiment with the SWG run time to find the right setting. There should be no reason for you to keep the FC that high. :wink:

yes I have been running the SWG everyday for 6 hours, which is what is recommended when the temps are as high as they are here in Houston. I will turn it off, vacuum and leave my pump running for a few days and check it again in a couple of days....I'm feeling better already!

BTW FPM...this is off topic, but your Shih Tzu is adorable!

skydiva44 said:
It was just dirt....and my pool is sparkling clean! But if feels like a hot tub with the tempatures we are having....109 heat index! Ugh!

I have been keeping my pool cool by running the waterfall at 7 AM when the air temp is 72 degrees. If you have a fountain or waterfall or any other way to get a lot of air/water contact in the cool hours (5AM to 8-ish) and stop that during the hot hours (9 AM to 3AM) you can affect the overall temp of the pool. (Though I do run the waterfall for a few minutes mid day to keep it chlorinated, not enough to affect pool temp.)

The weather site Weather underground shows links to weather stations all over town, many of which have daily temp charts so you can see what the actual low temp time is at this time of year.

I figure I can reverse this process when it gets cool to add heat to the pool in the fall and winter by running the waterfall only when the rocks are good and hot.

Is my ph and TA the only problem here?

Topics Merged for Consistency by Moderator

Last nights numbers:

PH - 8.2
TA-140
CYA-70
FAS-DPD- FC-22 x.5=11
CC- 0 - added drops and no change to color

This morning:
PH-8.2
TA 180
CYA- 60
FAS-DPD - 50 x .5=25
CC - 0 - added drops and no change to color

Last night PS said to add bleach which I did and some acid. So I should be focusing on dropping the PH today...Just want to be sure I am doing this right..thanks!

Re: Is my ph and TA the only problem here?

I'd have to say that your FC is way too high since you're not seeing any CC's. Unless the overnight chlorine drop test said you needed to shock. Why are you keeping your FC so high?

With your CYA 70 your FC target is 5-10ppm. I'd not add any more chlorine until it gets to about 6 or 7. Unless you're shocking.

High FC will affect the pH reading but you said you've already added acid to bring it down. How much did you add?

I don't think your TA is a problem and that's something you can work on once all your other numbers are in line.

Oops, I see you have an SWG. Have you read the Pool School section about maintaining a pool with an SWG? If not please do. If so Please read it again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.