Hoping this is not algae again!

Re: Is my ph and TA the only problem here?

It did tell me to add bleach last night, I'm not keeping my FC up intentionally, I think I added a cup and some ounces of acid last night, also it just said to add 1 cup, 6 oz. and that it what I did. No clorox was recommended this morning obviously....I keep thinking I am getting the hang of this and then something comes up that I have no clue about.

you're throwing money away (assuming you aren't shocking) and you're potentially screwing up your ph by messing with it when your FC level is over 10.
who is PS and why did they tell you to add anything? are you seriously following the pool store after all you've been through here? they probably tested your water and their garbage test bleached out so they thought you had no chlorine.
are you talking about the pool calculator? cause it doesn't tell you to do anything. YOU tell it what YOU want and it tells you how to get there. it doesn't make any recommendations except what your levels should be near the bottom, but they aren't factored in to any calculations.

Reebok.....I am referring to the POOL CALCULATOR, I have not been to a pool store for anything since finding this site. All I do is put in my test results and do what it suggests I do...

Please don't start new threads - it's too confusing and we have to search for history/background. It's better to keep it all one thread. I'm going to merge them both in a minute.... :wink:

Did you shut off the SWG and perform an overnight Loss test as I instructed?

Please confirm if you did this, and what were the results?

Otherwise, you should reduce the runtime as I mentioned down to 2-3 hours - there is no reason to run your chlorine that high if the overnight test shows the chlorine is holding. It is causing your PH to drift up too much. Allow the FC to drop below 10 and retest the PH.

Shut the SWG off until the FC level drops.

phew, thank goodness.
but yeah, it doesn't sound like you're using it correctly. the calculator does not know what you need. you need to know what you need and then enter in the correct numbers into the pool calculator. it just tells you the amount of chemical to reach the levels that you have entered into the now and goal fields.

FPM...sorry, I started a new thread because I felt it was a different problem, but thanks for setting me straight.

Reebok, I enter my test results in the boxes, it then tells me how much acid, bleach, conditioner, etc I need....how am I doing it wrong?

skydiva44 said:
Thank you! I just added the acid and will test again soon....but just exactly what is the danger I am facing? Algae? Skin falling off?
Low pH over time can damage the pool surface and your equipment. Also it may become uncomfortable to swim in.

The red pH drops react with chlorine and will read falsely higher as FC goes above 10. There is some chlorine neutralizer in the stuff, as I recall, but it can only do so much.

Ignore the pH test when FC is over 10.
--paulr

You are entering your test results, but what are you putting in the "target" or "goal" column?

Did you do an overnight loss test?

Shut the SWG off and let the FC level drop down and retest the PH.

Alls good, it just makes things easier for us to see "where you have been". It often seems like a "new" or unrelated issue, but for us to answer appropriately we often need to see the history. Otherwise we go through the same conversation as the last thread "why is your FC level so high?" :wink:

Thanks Paul!

FPM...to answer your questions, yes I turned off the SWG, has not run in 3 days, did the FAS=DPD test and my results are above.

Ok maybe what is not clear to me is in the first box, FC, I think I have done that one wrong, but will go back and study how to do it correctly.....sorry for all the confusion to all of you this morning.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
skydiva44 said:
Last nights numbers:

PH - 8.2
TA-140
CYA-70
FAS-DPD- FC-22 x.5=11
CC- 0 - added drops and no change to color

This morning:
PH-8.2
TA 180
CYA- 60
FAS-DPD - 50 x .5=25
CC - 0 - added drops and no change to color

FPM...to answer your questions, yes I turned off the SWG, has not run in 3 days, did the FAS=DPD test and my results are above.

Last night PS said to add bleach (Pool Calculator)

Ok maybe what is not clear to me is in the first box, FC, I think I have done that one wrong, but will go back and study how to do it correctly.....sorry for all the confusion to all of you this morning.

Ok, it sounds like you don't have the correct targets/goals established.

To do an overnight test, you test last, at least 30 minutes after adding any bleach. In your case, you don't need to add anything. Then in the morning you compare the results. If you lose more than 1ppm then there is a problem. I don't think there is in your case. The SWG does have to be off to perform the test correctly.

With your recent FC levels, you should not have to add any bleach, and with an SWG, unless you are shocking, it will add your chlorine for you. It sounds like the "target" box may have had a shocklevel of FC listed, thus the confusion.

With an SWG, and a CYA of 60 your Target FC is 4, your "min" is 3. So you should be running your SWG enough to maintain 3-4 ppm every day. I'm guessing in your pool that won't be more than 2-3 hours at the most. You'll have to determine this through trial and error. Try 2 hours a day, see where that gets you. But wait till the current FC drops down to 5 before you turn the SWG back on.

Once you get the PH/TA in range, those numbers should stabilize because you won't be running the SWG as much (which is caused by the high TA and the SWG).

So to lower the TA/PH, use the Pool Calc to determine how much acid to lower the PH to 7.2. Do this everytime the PH drifts up to 7.8. The acid additions will lower the TA as well, and eventually both will come into range and you shouldn't have these issues.

Hope this helps :wink:

At 25, you are right around shock level. I imagine if the sun is out the level has already dropped a bit since this morning. It's fine, if you are worried about your suit at all you could always were an old one... I wouldn't hesitate to jump in all things considered and NO AIR???? :shock:

Thank you guys, but what I really was asking and guess I didn't make it clear....are those the correct numbers in the right boxes....depending on what they would be when I DO need to check them again...does that make sense? In other words...whatever my FC # is, that goes into the now box and my goal would be between 5 -10...that is not what I have been doing before, I was putting the right thing in the now box, but for my goal I for some reason was putting the number for the CYA ex: 70 = 28, I was putting in the 28 for goal. I'm just double checking for future use because I now see what I was doing wrong and this explains why my FC is so high... :grrrr:

Since my last post I have basically left the pool alone as far as running the SWG. I have had to vacuum more than usual, I did an overnight test last night and did lose...last night it was 15 and this morning it is 11. So from reading back over my past replies to this problem I need to start shocking and I'm thinking it might be mustard algae. So my question is In the FC now box I should enter 11 and in the target box I should enter the mustard algae shock #....is this correct?

ph - 7.5
ta -140
cya- 70

thank you!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.