The skimmer weir thingy

aqualicious

LifeTime Supporter
May 22, 2009
Ontario, Canada
I really don't like the skimmer door weir thingy.

It's fine when the pool is empty but the minute we get any wave action going the thing gets stuck and then my pump runs dry so I either have to shut off the pump (which I don't want to do if there's actual sun to heat the panels and thus heat the pool) or I have to jam something in the door to keep it open.

I'm constantly having to push it into the skimmer or push it out to stick the vaccuum....or the styrofoam keeps coming off......

I'd be just as happy taking the door off.

Any reason why I shouldn't?

The weir is essential for a properly functioning skimmer, so I would say no you shouldn't remove it. However, it does seem that yours is not functioning properly. Has it always operated like this? Can you see what it is getting stuck on? Is it physically damaged?

Ours was getting stuck once in a while and I finally figured out what was causing it. The piece of styrofoam was slightly moved to one side and was hanging on the edge of the throat. I pushed it back in place and have had no more problems. From your statement
....or the styrofoam keeps coming off......
I'd suspect that might be causing you problems too. You can buy a new weir or just cut a new piece of styrofoam that fits better.

I noticed that if I remove the weir the skimmer produces a whirlpool and sucks air into the pump.

aqualicious said:
it just seems to get jammed closed. It's a tight fit.
Has it always been such a tight fit? Is it the correct weir for the skimmer?

If it is old and damaged, you should consider getting a new one. They are not expensive. Or you might try grinding the edges down a bit on your existing one, but if you take that route be careful. It needs to fit closely to work properly.

aqualicious said:
What is the point of the weir for exactly?

The weir accelerates the water by minimizing the flow area as it flows into the skimmer and keeps floating debris in the skimmer when the pump shuts off. The easiest solution is a belt sander on the sides of the weir.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
aqualicious said:
So Should the weir freely go front and back?
It should not float forward to the point that it is inside the swimming area of the pool (laying down). It should be vertical when not in use and laying toward the skimmer basket when the pump is running. A little pool gasket lube on the top edges of the skimmer opening might prevent the weir from sticking.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.