Love your opinions!!!!!

uxbridgechris

Bronze Supporter
Jan 25, 2018
uxbridge, Ontario Canada
I am not brand loyal and couldn't care less if my pool equipment was made by 10 different manufacturers. So, I would like opinions on what SWG to buy. 7000 gallon pool. I will not be using automation. I was thinking a salt cell for 15k gallons. Is bigger better or is there a point of diminishing returns?

Ok folks, What brand and model is the forum favourite?

If you want the best deal most people around here talk positively about circupool and with the current special you can get a simple straight forward SJ20 (3x size your pool) $519 or a little more complex RJ20 (also 3x size your pool) $649. I both cases you select the model below (I added links), and choose upgrade for $20. Getting 3x sized for that price is pretty good. The bigger you get sized the less runtime you will need to to have the cell on and/or lower %. This will in return allow your cell to last longer and use less energy (as properly sized could require running 24 hours a day). There are plenty of other brands out there but I doubt any reputable ones will have a lower price.

Most often, the larger cell doesn't cost more in direct proportion to the total chlorine it can produce, so a larger SWG produces total chlorine for less $ per pound.

With a large cell, you need enough % settings to fine tune it for a lower pool volume. Most seem to have eight or ten settings (12.5% or 10% increments). Even that many might not be enough with a 2.0 lb cell on a 7000 gallon pool, so I personally wouldn't go above 1.5 lb/day, which would produce 1 ppm FC per hour in 7000 gals. Less production per hour will certainly get the job done. A large Hayward could be awkward because of it's 3-hour cycle time. Their SWGs apply the % to the beginning of each run cycle, so for example, with 2 hours pump run time: chlorinator set at 50%; 50% of 180 minutes = 90 minutes; so the chlorinator actually runs 75% of the time (90 minutes out of 120 minutes). You can defeat the issue by using 3-hour pump run time increments.

The most frequently recommended brands here are Pentair and Hayward. There are also recommendations for CircuPool which sound like better value, with longer warranty and no self-install warranty penalty. Pentair replacement cells tend to be a few more dollars, probably because the flow switch is built into the cell.

Thanks guys. Awesome advise from both of you. Like many things in life, answers generate questions. lol.
The initial cost, I don't care so much about. Reliability is what I want and I suspect they are all very close when it comes to reliability.

Having a flow switch built in is convienent until the flow switch fails and I need to replace the whole cell because of it. So that is a - for pentair unless those flow switches are bulletproof.

The runtime issue could be a hassle for Hayward.

Off to read up on circupool and see if there are dealers in Canada.

Cheers

From what I've heard here, I think the flow switch is highly reliable because they're very simple. It's really just a slight cost issue at replacement time, but pretty minor in the overall scheme of things. I mentioned it as an explanation for the slightly higher cell replacement cost, but not a reliability concern.

Simplest of all, I think, is a CircuPool SJ (which has no flow switch and just enough electronics to vary output and shut it off for low salt) connected to a timer on the same hots as the pump.

Also simple and maybe available in Canada - I don't know - is a salt water chlorinator that controls the system. The SWG has the timers and the pump plugs into it. The SWG shuts off both SWG and pump if there's no flow. Some just sense conductivity inside the chlorinator cell housing, rather than a mechanical flow switch.

Chris, you might want to check with your municipality re swg...I think in TO they've been attempting to regulate same. I realize you're not TO but worth a check.

In Canada, Hayward has brought out a LOW SALT system intended to comply with the emerging regulations on salt. You my wish to check into that.

I love my Hayward Aquarite, btw. Great runner, no issues, in my second year. I'd had lots of very good reports on it from TFP.

Hi Chris looks like we have similar pools. We have a hayward Aqua Rite SWG with the T-15 cell. Our PB gave it to us for free so we do not have any other experience. I can tell you that the wife loves it and the only thing I have done is replace the cell last year so we got 7 years 2 months out of the original cell. Hope this helps:cheers:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.