Rolled Bond Beam Removal

cc,

Please keep in mind that most of our members are pool owners and not pool builders so it might take a day or two to get an answer this time of year.

I'm pretty sure they just slapped the coping right on top my bond beam.. So what makes your bond beam different???

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

What tools are you guys using to remove rolled bond beams to make way for coping?
I would imagine it is a large grinder with a concrete wheel, but would like some input. If so, what size wheel?
Thanks in advance!

I'm clueless about pools, but have done plenty of construction work that included cutting concrete/masonry. I would guess that you'd want to use a large concrete saw, 12" blade or larger. Trying to use an angle grinder with a blade large enough to cut all the way through the bond beam sounds difficult and dangerous.

cc,

Please keep in mind that most of our members are pool owners and not pool builders so it might take a day or two to get an answer this time of year.

I'm pretty sure they just slapped the coping right on top my bond beam.. So what makes your bond beam different???

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

A rolled bond beam is taller than a standard bond beam, and the top of it is formed such that it also serves as the coping. Can be formed into the shape of standard coping, or more commonly is completely rounded over like this:
https://www.precisionaquatics.net/content/gallery-images/IMG_0968.jpg

Ok, seeing that video makes me want to go and cut down an interstate overpass, or a bridge or something....

While a gas concrete saw would be ideal, I can’t fathom a worker holding it not only horizontal but also above their head for an extended period of time.

I had had a rolled beam removed from my pool, but unfortunately was not around when they did so.

Thinking it has be a large angle grinder.

Anyone ever seen how theirs was removed?

- - - Updated - - -

Is this a renovation, or what?

Yes. Removing rolled beam and cutting in for waterline time as well.

While a gas concrete saw would be ideal, I can’t fathom a worker holding it not only horizontal but also above their head for an extended period of time.

If it was me I'd set up some scaffold so the saw ended up mid chest and go to town. They really aren't difficult to handle...

Thinking it has be a large angle grinder.

An angle grinder capable of a 12" cut would need a blade bigger than a car tire...that's how someone's head gets lopped off.

It would probably be just as easy to snap a chalk line and chip away

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Ok, seeing that video makes me want to go and cut down an interstate overpass, or a bridge or something....

A few jobs we've done required precast hydro conduit tubes and vaults installed that were 7500 PSI and 8-12" thick. We had 2 concrete chainsaws and 4 ring saws running non-stop to make the necessary cuts. When you left for the day you'd be covered head to toe in a muddy slurry and could only hear ringing in your ears...

We really grew to appreciate the ring saws though. Prior to their use we'd have to make step cuts in the concrete because a 14" blade was only good for a 5" deep cut.

Wanna borrow my diamond chain saw? You can plunge cut a bridge...

I’m afraid that once I spun that puppy up there would be no stopping me until I ran out of gas....the neighborhood would like a war zone!

I now know what to get for the zombie-apocalypse! Hook that baby up to a Boring Company flamethrower (modified, of course, to shoot a flame at least 6ft) and I’ll be taking down zombies left & right...
:rockon:

I can't see that well from the photo. Does the rolled concrete bond beam actually project out over the pool with a lip ?

If not, then it looks a lot like our pool which we just had resurfaced. The pebble crete surface was simply jack hammered off carefully over the whole pool surface, they just took off the top layer. Then the we had a concrete slab laid around the whole pool area with travertine pavers and coping around the pool, waterline tiles applied, before the new surface was applied in the pool.

Yeah that wouldn’t end well. The rolled beam is concrete. Not the plaster and pebble you are thinking.

To elaborate on this, he will have chalk a straight line along the inside and then take a concrete saw and cut along that line. Then for most controlled demo use a chipper to knock it out, it will not be an easy or fast process that’s for sure. Trying to grind an inch of concrete is hard I can imagine trying to do 100+ feet at 4-7 inches.. would be a fool...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.