Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Step by step for salt pool refill

1. Back To Top    #1

Step by step for salt pool refill

Hey guys, First post...

I am having to drain and refill my above ground pool for various reasons (water is full of iron, want to relevel sand bottom, want to paint the rails)...anyway, I'm looking for very detailed step by step instructions for refilling and basically building the water from scratch. Things like...do I add the salt after pH and alkalinity are right? Thanks!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Step by step for salt pool refill

Welcome to TFP! Good to have you here

Day 1
    For me, it's pH first
    Then a small amount of chlorine to stop anything from starting to grow, say 2 ppm
    Then CYA to protect the chlorine, 30-50 ppm

Day 2
    Assume CYA level is at your target, and add the right amount of chlorine per FC/CYA Chart
    Adjust pH if need be

Day 3
    Check TA & CH, but don't do anything about either
    Adjust pH
    Top up chlorine
    Add salt
    Report all your numbers here to let us know. If anything's untoward, we'll let you know

Day 4
    Adjust pH
    Top up chlorine
    Turn salt cell on at your best guess level

Then test pH and FC every day for a few days to see if the SWG is keeping up; adjust it as needed

Within the first week or so, do an overnight chlorine loss test to rule out any algae carrying over from before the fill Overnight Chlorine Loss Test
    Then raise your CYA to 70-80 ppm (correct level for a salt water pool)

When you can, set up a signature - see Pool School - Getting Started - which will help you get the best possible advice.

Also, read these (they're all short) and it will all start to come together.
    TFPC for Beginners
    ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    Pool School - PoolMath
    PoolMath
    Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
    Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners